Gahanna-Jefferson Public Schools
Jefferson County, IN
Welcome to OASBO's Job Board, where Ohio school districts, Career Tech Centers, Educational Service Centers, computer associations and the Ohio Department of Education can list job opening. While we do not guarantee that all open Ohio school jobs are represented here, it should offer you a glimpse of the types of job roles that are available, and the duties required.
Click here to subscribe to the OASBO School Business Jobs Board email to receive new posts to the board weekly.
- Company: Gahanna-Jefferson Public Schools
- Primary Contact: Shea Reed
- Email: [email protected]
- Posted on: 2/23/2023
- Expiration: 3/25/2023
Salary to be determined
SUMMARY:Coordinates the school transportation program. Responsible for the organization, administration and supervision in the area of the school district transportation system in accordance with state law and policies along with District policies.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Demonstrates sound judgement and emotional stability.
- Maintains a positive attitude and works well with others.
- Ensures the safety of students.
- Interacts with staff, students and the community in a positive and respectful manner.
- Organizes and implements a pupil transportation system within the policies of the Board of Education.
- Understands and enforces all applicable local and state traffic and transportation laws.
- Develops and maintains lists of children eligible for transportation (records include name, address, grade and bus assignment).
- Recommends to the Board of Education the bus stops (makes them in as safe a location as possible).
- Coordinates field trips and athletic trips for transportation.
- Recruits, interviews, checks background and recommends for employment bus drivers and substitute bus drivers.
- Establishes good rapport with students, teaching staff, school administrators, civic groups, the general public and employees under his/her supervision.
- Assists in establishing uniform personnel policies, job descriptions and salary schedules for transportation personnel.
- Periodically checks the driving records of all bus drivers in order to assure student safety.
- Plans in-service training programs, personnel conferences and regular staff meetings for the bus drivers.
- Conducts driver education program for school bus drivers.
- Maintains personnel records and reports for the Payroll Department.
- Keeps records for preparation of state and local reports such as inventories, pupils transported, route mileage, time records, special trip records, traffic accidents and other required reports.
- Interprets transportation procedures and regulations to public and staff.
- Makes recommendations that may improve transportation services and efficiency, such as rules and regulations for drivers and pupil conduct.
- Cooperates with building principals/others to plan the transportation schedule to fit the requirements of a particular school.
- Assists in establishing a financial policy that will permit the transportation of students at a minimum cost to the taxpayer.
- Keeps an up-to-date record of school owned and/or operated vehicles and buses.
- Assists in the procedures to purchase school buses.
- Assists in the coordination of duties of the mechanics and mechanics’ helper.
- Coordinates the operation of the shared transportation facility with the City of Gahanna.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Manages subordinate bus drivers, substitute drivers, assistant coordinator and transportation secretary. Is responsible for the overall direction, coordination and evaluation of these employees.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED).
- College/Business degree preferred.
- Experience in general transportation operations preferred.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
- Must have or be able to obtain a Commercial Driver’s License with a good driving record.