Supervisor, State & Regulatory Communications
Requisition ID: 64484
FirstEnergy at a Glance
We are a forward-thinking electric utility powered by a diverse team of employees committed to making customers' lives brighter, the environment better and our communities stronger.
FirstEnergy (NYSE: FE) is dedicated to integrity, safety, reliability and operational excellence. Headquartered in Akron, Ohio, FirstEnergy includes one of the nation's largest investor-owned electric systems, more than 24,000 miles of transmission lines that connect the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions, and a regulated generating fleet with a total capacity of more than 3,500 megawatts.
About the Opportunity
This is an open position with the FirstEnergy Service Company, a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp. [SC00]
The Supervisor, State & Regulatory Communications, is primarily responsible for overseeing and guiding a team of media relations and communications professionals who develop and implement external communications that support FirstEnergy and its utilities.
This person will work closely with the Manager of Corporate Communications, providing strategic direction on communications tactics and plans that enhance FirstEnergy's brand and bring our story to life. This includes guiding implementation of earned media opportunities, feature stories, utility-related social media content development and new, innovative ways to share FirstEnergy's story. He/she will possess a strong ability to coach and assist team members, helping them improve communications skills and achieve professional growth.
The position reports to the Manager, Corporate Communications, and is located at FirstEnergy's Akron General Office in Akron, Ohio. Remote work is also a potential.
- Leading proactive communications planning and execution, including guiding the development and implementation of comprehensive communications plans and strategies, that earn positive news stories for FirstEnergy utilities and key programs
- Setting team goals that comply with the company's plans and visions, measure and track progress toward goals and provide feedback to promote team success
- Managing the workflow of state communications team, delegating tasks and ensuring business goals, deadlines and performance standards are met
- Reviewing story and social content ideas, coach team members through the content creation process and serve as main editor for team's work products
- Proactively identifying issues and obstacles before they occur, and guide team members as they develop appropriate responses
- Collaborating with other Communications team leadership to share ideas and content
- Fostering productive working relationships with other FirstEnergy business units
- Cultivating and maintaining strong working relationships with company leadership
- Providing coaching and mentoring to help team members reach their full potential and career goals
- Providing support during large scale outages or other significant events as part of the External Communications Emergency Response Team
- Participating in company committees/task forces, as needed
- Bachelor's degree in Communications, Journalism or related discipline required
- Minimum 10 years' relevant work experience required. Relevant work experience will include high-level communication skills, proven media relations experience and extensive knowledge of social media
- Proven experience leading and developing a high-performing team of diverse individuals
- Ability to establish challenging goals and motivate others to ensure achievement
- Ability to work collaboratively in a consultative role with senior leadership
- Expert written and verbal communication skills and ability to guide development of strategic and compelling communications
- Strong editing and analytical skills
- Good team player with strong organizational and project management experience
- Experience working with tight deadlines, ability to manage multiple projects and prioritize work for self and team
- Ability to provide afterhours and weekend support, particularly during significant outages and other crisis situations
- Willingness to travel to other FirstEnergy locations, as needed or during crisis situations
- Experience in the utility industry a plus
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications (Word, PowerPoint, Publisher, Office 365, SharePoint)
76 S Main St
Ohio United States
From the same organization