Supervisor, Grid Applications Development
Electric Reliability Council of Texas
Seeking a Supervisor, Grid Application Development manages the day to day and strategic operations.
- Leads a professional staff that develops and prototypes software tools used to assist control room Operators, Outage Coordinators, and Operations and Planning Engineers in the analysis of data needed to maintain the reliability of the Grid
- Evaluates system performance standards and contributes to the development strategy for the tools and applications needed by Grid Operations and Planning
- Plays a key role in observing what tools are needed, determining what capabilities are already available, and developing new tools to address unmet needs
- Investigation, evaluation, and bench-marking of new display and tool technologies
- Supervises and performs the following departmental functions
- Development of operational awareness and analytical tools used by System Operators in the control room
- Investigation, analysis, and development of data displays needed by System Operators
- Development of new and existing analytical tools used by Engineers and Coordinators to maintain system reliability
- Provide documentation and guidance needed by Project teams in order to deploy new tools
- Provide documentation and guidance for the development of training and training material
- Develop vendor applications to their fullest extent through changes in software, processes, and training
- Responsible for hiring, coaching, training, and performance management of staff.
- Frequently interacts with direct reports and functional peer groups. Interaction normally requires the ability to gain cooperation of others.
- Provides direct supervision to professional individual contributors and/or skilled, support individual contributors. Acts as an advisor to department and may become actively involved, as required, to meet schedules and resolve problems. A small portion of time is normally spent performing individual tasks related to the department. Typically has full responsibility for direct reports.
- May provide input to budgeting and financial decisions that impact the department. Requests approval for financial actions beyond a limited scope per policy.
- Scheduling work for employees
- On-the-job training and coaching employees
- Reviews and approves staff timesheets and leave requests
- Interacts with Project Management staff in the development and execution of project implementation plans
- Interact with Project Teams to implement new tools and system changes in production environments
- Requires minimum 5 years related work experience and 1 year in a leadership role preferred in excess of degree requirements
- Minimum of 5 years experience in transmission planning/analysis or system operations
- Knowledgeable in the modeling of transmission systems, energy markets, utility operations, and/or LMP markets
- Prior experience supervising or leading a team or projects preferred
Proficiency in the following areas Required:
- Alstom/GE applications or comparable
- Cognos or other reporting applications
- Programming in VBA, Matlab, Python
- Database querying (SQL, ODBC)
- ERCOT data architecture (security, table structures)
- ERCOT Grid Operations and Planning
- Bachelor's Degree : Electrical Engineering or related field (Required)
- Master's Degree : Electrical Engineering, Business Administration, or related field (Preferred)
- or a combination of education and experience that provides equivalent knowledge to a major in such fields is required
- NERC Certification as a Reliability Coordinator is preferred
- PE Professional Engineer (Preferred)
- There are requirements in this role that will be required to be performed on-site in Taylor, TX. It is estimated that your business area will require this position to be on-site at least (2-3) days per week. Circumstances and business needs may require you to be on-site more often. On-site requirements are at the discretion of Management.
- Remote work schedules shall be performed within Texas. Log-ins during out of state business travel, and any temporary remote work arrangements must be submitted and approved by HR.
Read the full posting.
Electric Reliability Council of Texas
Texas United States
From the same organization