Specialist – Advisor-Continuing
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI
This is a twelve-month Academic Specialist – Advising position in the continuing system with the College of Natural Science Undergraduate Academic and Student Affairs Office. The selected individual will serve as the Student Success Advisor and will report to the Assistant Director of Student Success. The Student Success Advisor works in collaboration with advising colleagues in the College of Natural Science and at Michigan State University to support student success.
Position responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Advise students on academic probation
- Maintain the Foundations of Academic Success Desire 2 Learn (D2L) page
- Advise NatSci Exploratory students (including during New Student Orientation)
- Become a certified Academic Life Coach (funding for certification provided)
- Develop programming and work with students on cultivating student success skills.
- Develop and update the Student Success website
- Participate in events related to academic advising (Some events may fall outside the regular M-F 8 am -5 pm time frame)
The goals of the College of Natural Science Undergraduate Academic and Student Affairs Office align with the broader institution and College goals of closing opportunity gaps for underrepresented students by increasing persistence, retention, and graduation rates, and decreasing time to degree. The College welcomes candidates who have a record of success advising or mentoring individuals from underrepresented groups.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or protected veteran status.
Masters -Education, Counseling, Science or related field
1. Master’s Degree in education, counseling, science, or related field
- Evidence of successful collaborations in a professional or educational setting
- Evidence of contributions to diversity, equity, and inclusion in a professional or educational setting
1. Experience working with College Students
- Experience with student information systems
- An understanding of science curricula or experience working with STEM students
- Evidence of and commitment to professional development
Required Application Materials
- Cover letter
- An advising statement describing the applicant’s philosophy on advising students and student success, including experiences or plans to support marginalized and historically underrepresented students.
- A list of three professional references
The university is requiring all MSU students, faculty and staff to be vaccinated against COVID-19 with limited exceptions. Learn more at: https://msu.edu/together-we-will/
Interested candidates should submit the required materials through careers.msu.edu, addressed to Kanchan Pavangadkar, Assistant Director of Student Success, College of Natural Science, 288 Farm Lane Road, East Lansing, MI 48824
Review of Applications Begins On
Remote Work Statement
MSU strives to provide a flexible work environment and this position has been designated as remote-friendly. Remote-friendly means some or all of the duties can be performed remotely as mutually agreed upon.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
“MSU is an affirmative-action, equal-opportunity employer and is committed to achieving excellence through a diverse workforce and inclusive culture that encourages all people to reach their full potential. The University actively encourages applications and/or nominations of women, persons of color, veterans and persons with disabilities. MSU is committed to providing a work environment that supports employees' work and personal life and offers employment assistance to the spouse or partner of candidates for faculty and academic staff positions.”
Michigan State University has been advancing the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community through more than 200 programs of study in 17 degree-granting colleges.