Social Compliance Associate
PUBLISHED: February 1, 2023 EXPIRY: April 2, 2023HybridWashington, D.C., Washington, D.C.Full TimeOtherPrograms
The FLA seeks a Social Compliance Associate dedicated to the evaluation of companies against the Principles of Fair Labor and Responsible Sourcing and Production.
SOCIAL COMPLIANCE ASSOCIATE
ABOUT THE FAIR LABOR ASSOCIATION
The Fair Labor Association (FLA) combines the efforts of industry, civil society organizations and colleges and universities to promote and protect workers’ rights and to improve working conditions globally through adherence to international standards. The FLA is headquartered in Washington, D.C., and has offices in Geneva, Switzerland, and Cote d’Ivoire, Ivory Coast. For information, visit www.fairlabor.org.
The FLA seeks a Social Compliance Associate dedicated to the evaluation of companies against the Principles of Fair Labor and Responsible Sourcing and Production. Social Compliance Associates actively participate in company accreditations and are responsible for: supporting the ongoing evaluations of companies in the Accreditation Program; reviewing and analyzing public reports related to the independent workplace assessments conducted by the FLA; and overall contributing to the smooth operations of the Social Compliance department. The ideal candidate is an excellent communicator, has strong attention to detail, demonstrates initiative, and can collaborate with an international team.
This position is based at the FLA office in Washington, D.C. Remote candidates may be considered.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Reviews, analyzes, and responds to company compliance documentation, including annual evaluation results, field observation reports, factory assessments, and others.
- Conducts quality reviews of factory assessment reports and wage data. Checks content accuracy and edits for language and grammar.
- Tracks departmental workflow; assists with the administrative demands of the accreditation process and helps manage logistics related to independent workplace assessments.
- Contributes to the FLA’s evaluation of companies’ labor compliance programs, consistent with the FLA Charter, Principles, Code of Conduct and Benchmarks and adopted policies and procedures.
- Assists with headquarter-level assessments, field observations, and desktop verification of affiliate efforts.
- Contributes to comprehensive written reports to affiliates, senior staff, and the FLA Board.
- Contributes to the development of new tools, policies, and procedures to enhance the work of the Social Compliance department.
- Other duties and special projects as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
- Undergraduate degree required with ideally two years’ relevant work experience in business, supply chain management, sourcing, production, corporate social responsibility, law, human rights, social research, or industrial relations. Graduate degree in business, law, sociology, industrial relations, or other relevant fields in lieu of work experience.
- Strong commitment to the mission of the FLA to protect workers’ rights and conduct due diligence on companies and their respective supply chains.
- Superior communication skills, both oral and written; proven ability to deal with confidential and sensitive matters; diplomacy; negotiation skills; poise; sound judgment.
- Fluency in English required; second language skills in Mandarin, Spanish, or another relevant language a plus.
- Strong organizational, editing, and copy-editing skills; detail-oriented.
- Demonstrated initiative and reliability; ability to work independently with minimal supervision, as well as within a team.
- Team-player with willingness to fill team gaps as needed.
- Ability to travel, both domestically and internationally, up to 10% of the time.
The FLA is an equal employment opportunity employer and considers all applicants for employment regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.