Senior Transmission Planning Engineer (ESC)
Pacific Gas and Electric Company
Requisition ID # 136175
Job Category: Engineering / Science
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Business Unit: Electric Engineering
Job Location: Oakland
The Transmission System Planning (TSP) department performs Interconnection studies, multi-year assessments and develops a portfolio of transmission expansion plans and projects to meet the company's transmission needs for delivery of safe and reliable electric service to our customers while adhering to North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC) and Western Electricity Coordinating Council (WECC) planning standards. The members of TSP actively participate in the NERC and WECC standard development process for electric transmission reliability. The department is also involved in developing transmission expansion policy and strategy to meet the Company's RPS goals. In addition, the department provides support to project implementation groups, operations, law, contract and other internal departments.
This position is represented by the Engineers and Scientists of California (ESC) subject to collective bargaining.
The Senior Transmission Planning is responsible for providing technical, planning and project implementation support for transmission, substation, and distribution systems. The responsibility level of this position increases with experience and demonstrated ability.
- Basecase preparation
- Lead and manage approval process for PG&E's transmission load forecast.
- Lead generator testing and model development
- Develop HVDC or other non-standard equipment models for power flow and dynamic stability analysis.
- Transmission System Studies
- Primary lead in transmission planning studies including long-term studies that develop strategy and comprehensive plan to ensure safe, reliable, economic and efficient operation of the electric transmission system.
- Lead and support development of Annual Transmission Planning Assessment and Expansion Plan.
- Provide technical guidance to internal departments (Engineering, Operations, Substation and T-line asset strategy, Distribution Planning etc.) on planning and policy issues
- Lead complex studies such as RAS design related studies.
- Develop and standardize new analytic methods for power system analysis/modeling
- Lead the development of interconnection handbook, criteria, and standards for WECC/NERC compliance
- Guide and direct the work of lower level engineers on interconnection studies, where appropriate.
- Project Implementation
- Provide technical expertise and lead in the implementation of complex and large-scale projects including projects that require a Permit to Construct (PTC) permit.
- Implement complex projects requiring CPCN permit with guidance.
- Compliance and Regulatory
- Lead in preparation of need portion of filings with regulatory agencies on transmission projects as necessary.
- Lead FERC/NERC/WECC/CAISO compliance requirements such as F1004 forms, RIMS, FNM, and FAC, TPL, NUC, and MOD reliability standards and criterion.
- Lead annual Gap Analysis for FERC/NERC compliance.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited curriculum in the US or the equivalent from outside the US
- 8 years of experience in electrical engineering, planning and/or operations
- Current and active California PE license
- Master's degree in Electrical Engineering
- Knowledge of power system theory and analysis
- Knowledge of PG&E's electric transmission system
- Knowledge of NERC and WECC reliability standards
- Experience in system operations, engineering, asset strategy, or system protection
- Previous experience with GE PSLF Program or similar load flow program
- Experience in programming languages such as Matlab, Python, VBA, EPCL
- EIT/PE Certification, registered Electrical Engineer in California
Read the full posting.
Pacific Gas and Electric Company
77 Beale St
California United States
From the same organization