Seasonal Assistant Golf Course Superintendent
The Town of Brookline Recreation Department is seeking a Seasonal Assistant Golf Course Superintendent to join the team at the Robert T. Lynch Municipal Golf Course to perform skilled manual, technical maintenance and supervisory work related to the construction, care and maintenance of municipal golf course grounds, equipment, and related structures. This role also assists the Golf Course Superintendent in coordination, scheduling and performance and other related work as required.
- Assists the Golf Course Superintendent and Assistant Golf Course Superintendent in supervising the construction and turf maintenance of an eighteen-hole golf course, ancillary structures and equipment in accordance with the overall guidelines established by the Director of Golf. Participates in planning for course improvements.
- Assists in planning, organizing, coordinating, and supervising all grounds operations on a day-to-day basis.
- Tours the golf course daily to assess the overall condition of the course, and to identify areas requiring attention.
- Schedules non-routine maintenance in accordance with findings. Schedules routine maintenance to be performed each week, including the mowing of greens, tees, and fairways, cup and pin placement, general landscaping, including care of roughs and bunkers, and maintenance of buildings and parking lot.
- Reviews work as it is completed to ensure that quality standards are met.
- Monitors, adjusts, and inspects the irrigation system of the golf course, ensuring its operation and a level sufficient to meet the water requirements of the course; adjusts and monitors computerized irrigation control systems.
- Required to comply with standards set by state and local laws related to water management. Inspects greens, tees, bunkers and fairways for condition.
- Trains, supervises, and evaluates the performance of assigned staff; prioritizes, assigns, and oversees grounds maintenance activities; coordinates the work for special projects, activities and tournaments as necessary.
- Ensures personnel properly identifies infestations and diseases and appropriately applies fertilizers, fungicides, and pesticides; ensures personnel perform applications in accordance with state and federal laws.
- Repairs the irrigation system, ensuring its operation and a level sufficient to meet the water requirements of the course.
- Trains employees in, and follows, proper safety procedures and the use of appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) at all times according to OSHA guidelines and other local, state and federal laws.
- Supervises and participates in grounds maintenance activities of golf course signs, fences, turf and other facilities; treats turf diseases, weeds and insects.
- Coordinates with Equipment Repair and Maintenance Technician for purchases of new equipment and/or repair of existing equipment and handling any day-to-day equipment needs.
- Acts as an information resource to the golf course superintendent in areas relating to course maintenance, including but not limited to staffing requirements, improvements in the course, performance of staff, equipment needs, and trends in pesticides/fertilizers.
- Oversees the application of pesticides to turf and shade and ornamental trees in accordance with safety standards and the nature of the infestation.
- Acts as an information resource to other personnel on fungal and insect infestations and appropriate treatment.
- Maintains records relating to overall maintenance in order to discover patterns and improve overall maintenance of the course. This includes documenting infestations, monitoring weather patterns, fertilizer, and pesticide use, etc. Maintains required certifications.
- Keeps Golf Course Superintendent and Assistant Golf Course Superintendent informed of work progress and immediately reports any significant problems found with materials, equipment, or ability to complete projects.
- Supervises the removal of leaves, grass, dirt, and rubbish from the grounds.
- Supervises the use, maintenance, and repairs of tractors, cultivators, edgers, mowing equipment, and other tools and machinery.
- Supervise and participate in grounds maintenance activities of golf course signs, fences, turf and other facilities; treat turf diseases, weeds and insects.
- May act as Assistant Golf Course Superintendent during absences.
- Responsible for knowing and fulfilling all applicable local, state, and federal laws and regulations concerning the use (including posting notification requirements and right to know laws) and storage of turf and agricultural chemicals and the use of appropriate PPE while handling chemicals. Keep accurate and complete chemical usage records.
- Performs all duties of subordinate personnel, as needed to ensure appropriate maintenance of the golf course, buildings, and equipment.
- Perform similar or related work as required
Recommended Minimum Qualifications:
Degree in turf management, Turfgrass Certificate or a closely related field required; two years of responsible experience in golf course maintenance or a closely related field required; one to two years of supervisory experience; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Valid State License, Class D, and a clean driving record
- Valid State pesticide application license Ornamental and shade trees license preferred
Salary: $22-25 hourly, depending on experience. Please apply with resume and cover letter by April 3, 2023.