Scientific Writer, Imaging Specialist – Sterling, VA
Scientific Writer, Imaging Specialist – Sterling, VA
Thorlabs, Inc., Sterling, VA, United States
Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over Approximately 2,300 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
Thorlabs, a leading global manufacturer of photonics-enabled technologies, is currently seeking applications from experimental scientists, with an advanced degree in physics, biophysics, or a related field, to join our Technical Marketing team. Our innovative imaging systems portfolio, which includes not only multiphoton, confocal, and widefield microscopes but also objectives, software suites, and a huge variety of optical and mechanical components, requires a champion who will focus on product- and application-oriented marketing collateral.
Established in 2009, our Imaging Division distinguishes itself by partnering with university thought leaders to deploy and support exciting, cutting-edge technologies in our customers' laboratories. Innovations like our rotating Bergamo® microscope for in vivoobservations, Bessel beam imaging techniques, multiphoton mesoscope, and Veneto™ inverted microscopy platform have been developed in true collaboration with our end users, providing a healthy stream of new technologies to consider and market to our userbase.
The successful candidate will have extensive hands-on laboratory experience, ideally with exposure to building imaging systems from the ground up, and familiarity with related specialties, such as neuroscience, functional imaging, and cell biology. Strong writing and presentation skills in English, excellent organizational skills, the ability to work under time constraints, and a desire to learn about new technologies are also required.
Scientific Writers partner with graphic artists and videographers at our headquarters facility in Newton, NJ to create marketing collateral. Original product content is written based on information from application specialists, product managers, R&D engineers, and key customers as well as prior knowledge gained from using similar products in the field. Hence, this position requires strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a team environment.
The Scientific Writer, Imaging Specialist position will work alongside our Imaging Systems team at our Sterling, VA location. Travel to other Thorlabs locations may be required from time to time.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Works closely with key technical contacts to learn about advanced and cutting-edge imaging techniques and produces collateral to describe those techniques and guide customers in performing them
- Leverages extensive product knowledge to identify, implement, and track product presentation enhancements aimed at assisting customers with a buying decision
- Creates marketing collateral to support new product introduction of imaging systems
- Builds application examples that help customers understand how products are utilized within a lab environment
- Guide's graphics staff, clearly and effectively communicating desired outcomes to obtain the necessary images, videos, and animations for a successful presentation
- Proposes and implements plans for website reorganization and improvements
- Develops effective content for use at tradeshows, within advertisements, or for other purposes
- Participates in defining new products and/or product enhancements
- Identifies and guides development of new web tools and features that improve customers' experiences when interacting with our website
- Develops, implements, and tracks search engine optimization projects for various product lines
- Additional responsibilities may include participating in and leading marketing projects and attending tradeshows
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.
- Extensive Hands-On Laboratory Experience, Preferably with Imaging System Technologies
- Advanced Degree in Biophysics, Physics, or a Related Field, or Equivalent Work Experience
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Native Language Writing Skills in English
- Strong Organizational and Planning Skills
- Strong Interpersonal Skills for Working in a Multi-Disciplinary Team Environment
- Willing to Constantly Learn About New Technologies, Applications, and Developed Products
- Ability to Multitask, Be Detail Oriented, and to Solve Problems, All While Under Tight Time Constraint