Corning is vital to progress – in the industries we help shape and in the world we
We invent life-changing technologies using materials science. Our scientific and
manufacturing expertise, boundless curiosity, and commitment to purposeful
invention place us at the center of the way the world interacts, works, learns,
Our sustained investment in research, development, and invention means we’re
always ready to solve the toughest challenges alongside our customers.
Job Location: Painted Post, NY, US, 14870
Scope of Position: This internship is aimed at exploring the applicability of
Open-Source tools in the field of Process Modeling. The candidate will play a
critical role in tackling novel problems as well as establishing the feasibility
of porting existing models into OpenFOAM. Modeling methodologies to be used
include but are not restricted to fluid flow, heat and mass transfer, reaction
engineering, combustion, multi-phase-flow and non-Newtonian flows.
Day to Day Responsibilities: Responsibilities include understanding the design
constraints to create effective models and meshes as well as post-processing
analysis. Identify and understand the numerical differences between commercial
applications and OpenFOAM. Communicate and present regular project updates to
modeling experts located across the globe. Document findings through internal and
Travel requirements: • None
Hours of work: • 40 h/week
Education and Experience:
• Enrolled in a PhD program in Chemical, Mechanical Engineering or other relevant
field with research work utilizing OpenFOAM.
• Strong background in numerical methods and implementation.
• Good understanding of fluid mechanics concept and theory.
• In-depth experience and knowledge of the implementation of OpenFOAM.
• Strong analytical, diagnostic and problem-solving skills.
• Very good communication skills and strong ability to interact with team members
• Ability to understand and break down real world problems into solvable modeling
• Experience with other open-source tools for pre- and post-processing such as
snappyHexMesh, Gmsh, Paraview and others.
• Ability to collaborate with other technical experts.
• Experience in multiple software and/or programming languages (C/C++, Unix,
Shell, Python) will be an added advantage.
• Good written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to function in a team environment
• Ability to openly collaborate with a broad cross-section of scientists and
• Strong working knowledge of the Linux and HPC computing environment
This position does not support immigration sponsorship.
We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, age, religion,
national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability,
veteran status or any other legally protected status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable
accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to
perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of
employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Nearest Major Market: Corning
Please mention the CFD Jobs Database, record #18357 when responding to this ad.
20:40:28, Friday, March 03, 2023