Southern Utah University
Cedar City, UT
Schedule: Monday – Thursday (7:00 am – 5:30 pm) with 0:30 lunch break.
Housing: No Housing Available
Dates: 05-01-2023 – 08-25-2023
Agency: Bureau of Land Management
Location: Cedar City, Utah
Overview: THIS INTERNSHIP IS BASED AT THE CEDAR CITY FIELD OFFICE – BUREAU OF LAND MANAGEMENT
The BLM Cedar City Field Office is responsible for the management of 2.1 million acres in Southwest Utah. The renewable resources division of the field office is responsible for the administration of the range, wildlife and fisheries, soil, water and air, forestry, sensitive plants, and wild horse and burro programs. The diversity of resources and issues surrounding them provide many opportunities for interdisciplinary and inter-agency projects. Recent projects stretch across many disciplines, including development of grazing management systems, fuels treatments, Range Improvement Projects, Emergency Stabilization and Rehabilitation and invasive species control.
Position ResponsibilitiesRange Technician Recruitment Information: The BLM Cedar City Field Office (CCFO) has 2 – 4 Range Technician Internship positions available for the 2023 summer field season. The focus will be directed primarily towards collection of vegetative monitoring data (Summer 2023 – (May – August)). Extensive experience will be gained in the following vegetative monitoring methods.
Vegetative Monitoring Methods
- Nested Frequency
- Line Intercept
- Point Intercept
- Gap Intercept
- Line Point Intercept
- Key Forage Plant Utilization
- Proper Functioning Condition (PFC)
- Multiple Indicator Monitoring (MIM)
- Field Work – 90%
- Office Work – 10%
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience working in an outdoor setting
- Proficiency in the Microsoft Office Suite
- Applicants who possess these skills and who are pursuing a degree in fields related to Range, Natural Resources, Agriculture or Wildlife Biology will be given the greatest consideration.