Publications Manager (M-RITE)
John Snow, Inc.
Publications Manager (M-RITE)
Location: Arlington, VA
Position Category: Direct hire, paid in US
Posting Date: 02/16/2023
Deadline Date: 04/03/2023
Starting Date: 04/03/2023
JSI Research & Training Institute, Inc. (JSI) is a public health management consulting and research organization dedicated to improving the health of individuals and communities throughout the world. JSI is currently seeking a Publications Manager and Writer/Editor the USAID-funded MOMENTUM (Moving Integrated, Quality Maternal, Newborn, and Child Health and Family Planning and Reproductive Health Services to Scale) Routine Immunization Transformation and Equity Project (the project). The MOMENTUM awards seek to contribute to global technical leadership and evidence generation and dissemination around maternal, newborn, and child health (MNCH), family planning (FP) and reproductive health (RH) services. The project’s overarching goal is to sustainably strengthen routine immunization programs to 1) overcome the entrenched obstacles contributing to stagnating and declining immunization rates in USAID-supported countries, and 2) address the barriers to reaching zero-dose and under-immunized children with life-saving vaccines and other health services. In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, and the disruption of immunization services, the project will also support countries with the maintenance, adaptation, suspension, and/or reinstatement of immunization services.
The Publications Manger oversees and tracks the day-to-day completion of the project’s publications. They collaborate with the technical teams and country teams to meet quarterly deadlines for project deliverables, ensuring that publications are of high quality and conform to project standards, styles, and branding. This position will meet with technical teams and country teams to plan deliverable production timelines; help teams draft publications; identify quality gaps; and oversee standard editing, design, and translation of publications. This position will also coordinate all quarterly and annual reporting for the project and manage the product tracker for the project. This position reports to the KM and Communications Lead and sits on the project’s Knowledge Management Team but works across all project teams. They may also provide direct support for writing, editing, and layout of products from presentations and web content to posters, briefs, and reports.
The ideal candidate will be based at the JSI Arlington office, however, the position is qualified to be based in any state where JSI is registered (AZ, AR, CA, CO, FL, GA, IL, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, NH, NJ, NM, NY, NC, PN, RI, TN, TX, VT, VA, WA, WDC, WI, and US Virgin Islands). The salary range for this position is $90,000 – $105,000, and will be reviewed based on the candidate’s qualifications. Only qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview, which will be done on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
The project is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
The Publications Manager will:
- Track the day-to-day production of all project publications to help ensure their timely completion and identify any that are at-risk of missing established deadlines and and/or not meeting quality expectations.
- Coordinate and manage all quarterly, semi-annual, and annual reporting for core and some country activities.
- Responsible for participating in dissemination of materials as well as archiving of all products.
- Meet with technical teams regularly to establish production schedules and identify gaps in support for publication development.
- Work as a member of the KM/Comms team to help track, assess deliverable/publication needs, and contribute to overall KM goals.
- In collaboration with the KM/Comms Lead, provide technical leadership in quality assurance and training in product development.
- Provide planning, writing, editing, and layout services and oversight, as well as make suggestions to address challenges in product completion and bring concerns about lagging deliverables to the KM/Comms Lead.
- Help technical teams understand and think through the full range of product development—purpose, audience, possible formats, and dissemination as well as resources available, timelines, and budgets.
- Archive all completed publications, including all text and design source files from internal and external sources.
- Write, edit, and format publications in Word and Google Docs.
- Work with the KM/Comms Lead on possible trainings and workshops on writing and product development for project staff.
- Help create and manage revisions to style tools, process documents, and job aids.
- Write purchase orders for vendor tasks and help manage payments as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor degree in communications, project management, public health, or a related field preferred.
Experience: 5-10 years of relevant experience, with at least 3 years in product development. Preference given to experience in communications within international public health and for clients and donors such as USAID.
- Excellent writing, copy editing, and substantive editing skills.
- Strong interpersonal, oral communication, and negotiating skills; experience working effectively in teams and cross-cultural settings and across teams in a fast-paced environment.
- Impeccable time management, delegation, and prioritization skills as well as strong administrative and organizational skills. Demonstrated ability to prioritize and manage multiple, complex, time-sensitive tasks simultaneously and to meet deadlines with attention to detail, cost, and quality.
- Demonstrated understanding of project and/or production management best practices and proven problem-solving abilities.
- Experience determining and writing up project and publication processes.
- Excellent formatting skills in MSWord and PowerPoint, including the use of styles, and familiarity with layout in Google Docs and Slides.
- Strong drive and initiative to take on and complete tasks proactively.
- Professional experience interacting with technical staff, writers, editors, and designers in a U.S.-based home office and in field offices.
- Ability to work comfortably in the MS Office Suite applications, specifically MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint as well as Google applications, e.g. Google Docs, Google Drive.
- Familiarity with Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, and Acrobat and Google G-Suite for Business.
- Experience completing and tracking purchase orders and payments for vendor services.
Languages: English fluency required; proficiency in French and/or Portuguese is a plus.
Salary Range: 90,000 – 105,000
Interested candidates should submit their resumes and cover letters online by 04/03/2023.
No phone calls please.
Principals only please.