Project Engineer II
OVERVIEW OF ROLE
Under guidance from a Senior and/or Lead or Principal Engineer an Engineer Level II provides engineering skills to projects, tendering activities, engineering studies, vessels and equipment and/or offshore engineering processes. Compliance with and delivery against project plans, relevant engineering standards and contractual obligations is required, The Engineer Level II usually works as part of a team but may have responsibility for discrete work packages. He/she may be required to check technical documentation.
All personnel are expected to contribute to creating a positive HSEQ culture within Subsea 7 and ensure familiarity with and adherence to local HSEQ codes and practices.
SPECIFIC KEY RESPONSIBILITIES & ACTIVITIES
- Provides specialist skills, integrity and knowledge in project or discipline engineering, including design codes, legislative requirements and current good engineering practice. Understands clients' needs; identifies and addresses design parameters and problems; develops and implements solutions.
- Under limited supervision, independently evaluates, organises and prioritises work.
- Undertakes responsibility for production of deliverables, which may include engineering support to the Drawing Office, design calculations, specifications, procedures, analyses, progress reports, bid evaluations, study reports and various 3rd-party submissions.
- Signs and issues technical documentation as originator or checker, accepting personal responsibility for its adequacy.
- May agree and monitor performance objectives with direct reports. Where necessary provide day to day guidance and coaching.
- Ensures all relevant safety objectives and legal requirements are observed.
- Represents the Company in meetings/correspondence with Clients, Subcontractors, 3rd Parties etc., in a technical capacity.
- Trains / mentors more junior engineers
- Additional responsibilities/activities specific to the appropriate Engineering Centre and Project/Discipline role may be added as applicable. For example:
- Support the Principal Engineer and Project Engineering Manager in performing and coordinating engineering for successful project delivery
- Operate within standardised engineering policies, processes and systems in the Business Management System BSM
- Ensure engineering in the Discipline is quality driven
- Ensure full traceability of the technical development of the assigned scope throughout the life of the project
- Ensure that specifications and scopes of work within the assigned Project scope have been reviewed and agreed by the relevant centres of competence and that all quality issues are captured in the relevant Quality Control Plan
- Provide technical support to local tendering teams
- Agree and monitor performance objectives with direct reports
- Actively engage in knowledge sharing, capture of Lessons Learned and application of Engineering Standards
- Understand Supply Chain Management (SCM) processes and key SCM commodity strategies
- Actively engage in the project risk assessment and mitigation processes
- Undertake, and check others’, analysis, design and engineering activities associated with subsea construction and installation.
- Design and detailing in accordance with acknowledged industry Codes, Standards and Design Guides; Client Specifications and Scopes of Work.
- Liaise with associated subsea related disciplines and understand the interfaces within a project
- Provide engineering assistance during mobilisations and occasional periods of offshore or site working.
- Support the development of project-specific procedures for the implementation of work to be carried out by onshore & offshore personnel in accordance with Subsea 7 minimum standards. This may include some liaison directly with clients and subcontractors.
- Identify suitable equipment to perform operational tasks offshore, checking all aspects of the equipment to ensure it is operated safely and efficiently with suitable certification provided to meet statutory regulations. Also liaise with vessel departments and third party contractors to ensure all equipment is fit for purpose and fully compatible with offshore worksite.
- Support the co-ordination/compilation of as-built material and commercial aspects of contractual variations from site/fabricators/offshore.
- Promote personal CPD (continuing professional development) through regular engagement with the professional engineering community
- Involved in HAZID studies and TRAs of tasks detailed in the procedures
- Interfaces with associated subsea related disciplines and under understands the interfaces within the project environment
- Involved with meetings/correspondence with Clients, subcontractors, 3rd parties, etc. in a technical capacity.
- Proposes innovative solutions allowing cost & risks reduction
- Travel requirement – minimum 25% onshore and offshore
Essential Experience, Skills and Knowledge:
- Professional qualifications – Engineering Degree (Demonstrable experience in a similar role will also be considered)
- Relevant engineering experience (3+ years) in the Subsea Umbilical Riser Flowline (SURF) within the Marine and/or Oil and Gas industry
- Awareness of marine classification and local legislation (Essential)
- Demonstrable ability to work within time/budget constraints
- Presents self in a professional manner appropriate to the role
- Demonstrable ability to prioritize and organize work
- Identifies industry codes, standards and design guidelines.
- Ability to support package engineering and management