Application Deadline: Saturday, Apr 15, 2023
WYPR is seeking a Producer to work in conjunction with the Host and Supervising Producer of Midday,they will assist with the planning and booking of topics and guests for five, one-hour live radio shows per week. The Producer will also assist with producing and editing content for Midday digital assets to include websites, social media and podcasts. The Producer will focus on our overall goal of providing diverse, relevant and credible topics for the WYPR and Midday listening community.
Duties and Responsibilities
- In conjunction with the Host and Supervising Producer, pitch topics and guests for daily segments.
- Book and schedule guests while coordinating interview logistics.
- Assist with research for providing the host with background on topics, guests, and potential story ideas as needed.
- Conduct pre-interviews and transcribe interviews when necessary.
- Prepare daily show audio for dissemination as a podcast.
- Assist with daily digital posting of show audio, show copy, pictures, graphics and social media.
- Assist the Director/Engineer with audio elements for broadcasts and podcasts as needed.
- Direct, record and edit video streaming of selected broadcasts as needed.
- Assist with other administrative tasks to include managing database of homicide victims and managing guests contacts.
- At least two plus years of experience in journalism and broadcast production.
- Experience with Adobe Audition or familiarity with other audio editing programs.
- Experience with HTML and Photoshop or similar photo editing programs.
- Able to write quickly and accurately for broadcast and the web.
- Precise attention to detail and sharp news judgment is a must, as is the ability to multitask.
- Multimedia-based journalism skills are a plus.
- Must be comfortable in a highly collaborative, deadline-driven environment.
- Experience producing live radio preferred.
- Familiarity in public media preferred.
- Change/Adaptability/Flexibility: Adapts to change that benefits Your Public Radio, is open to new ideas, takes on new responsibilities, handles pressure, adjusts plans to meet changing needs.
- Communication: Communicates well both verbally and in writing, promptly shares information and ideas with others throughout the organization as appropriate, has active listening skills, can negotiate and persuade as needed.
- Results Focus/Initiative: Targets and achieves results, sets challenging goals, prioritizes tasks, overcomes obstacles, accepts accountability, sets high standards and takes responsibility, provides leadership/motivation.
- Collaboration: Working collaboratively with others to solve problems, achieve common goals and positive results. Listens to others and values opinions. Is open with other team members and expresses disagreement constructively. Seeks opportunities to work on teams as a means to develop experience and knowledge.
Knowledge and Competencies:
- Identification with the mission and purpose of Your Public Radio.
- Meticulous sense of detail.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks.
- Active communication and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work with a wide range of staff and activities.
- Working knowledge of Your Public Radio programming and the services of the network is preferred.
- Access to a personal vehicle highly desired.
Professionalism: Observes work rules and practices covered during the orientation process and practices appropriate conduct as outlined in the Your Public Radio Handbook.
WYPR offers a competitive benefits package.
Applications can also be mailed to Business Manager, WYPR, 2216 N. Charles St., Baltimore, MD 21218. WYPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we are seeking and welcome diverse candidates. Open until filled. No phone calls, please.
WYPR is a long-standing, reliable source of news, captivating programming and community engagement in the greater Baltimore and Maryland region.
The mission of Your Public Radio Corporation is to inform, connect and even challenge the listeners we serve in the metropolitan Baltimore area and the State of Maryland by broadcasting programs of intellectual integrity and cultural merit to provide an unbiased perspective of the events of today and to enrich the minds and spirits of our audience.
For additional information about this position, please contact: