PACKING SHED CO-MANAGER
Walla Walla, WA
Hayshaker Farm is a small-scale, draft powered vegetable growing operation based in the SE Washington state. 2023 marks our ninth season. The business is owned and operated on leased land by Chandler Briggs.
We farm on 8 irrigated acres, growing diversified vegetables and fruit for local families, grocery stores and restaurants. We sell almost exclusively through our online market called the Walla Walla Food Hub. We feature out produce but carry many other producers’ goods from across the region. The food hub is managed by the farmers and is a regular part of the work here.
Our farm is partly draft horse-powered, thanks to the help of our fuzzy teammates, Dusty, Juni, Jane, Ruby and Gus and sometimes other helpful visiting horses. In addition to the compost they help create daily, they help us plow, disc, harrow, cultimulch, cultivate, spread compost, pull loads and harvest crops. We also use a BCS for tilling the salad field and flail mowing. We have a small tractor for pallet forks, bucket and a rotary mower. We are 4 miles from downtown Walla Walla and part of a fantastic local community. It is a thriving college-town city of 40,000+, with excellent outdoor activities, restaurants, bakeries, breweries, music, theater, lectures and wine production.
Full Time: average 30-40 hours per week April – Nov
Occasional overtime, paid at time+half
Winter work, December – March (variable, average 15-20 hr/week)
Schedule: Monday – Friday, starting between 6-9am, occasional help with weekend chores
Paid sick leave: one hour earned for every 40 hours worked
- Two weeks paid/year, one week earned every 6 months
- One week of paid vacation during winter if committed to return for next year, more paid vacation next spring/summer
- More unpaid time off possible
We are looking for smart, strong and detail-oriented folks to join our farm crew. The Packing Shed Co-Manager positions are designed for those ideally already experienced in produce farming with a desire to grow into a role with more responsibilities. All ideal farm crew candidates will have a strong interest in food and farming, and enjoy working both on a team and individually. Applications are reviewed as they are received.
- Direct duties (~70-80%)
- Manage packing shed with co-manager, including:
- Efficiently and effectively wash and pack produce
- Follow detailed directions sending 100+ products to 15+ locations
- Keep produce and food hub products organized, clean & properly labeled
- Direct and manage other farm crew in helping wash and pack produce
- Maintain clean work areas and manage stock of bags and boxes
- Help communicate with wholesale accounts on our Google Voice number
- Communicate with our harvest manager to list what’s available for sale and about incoming produce
- Direct other farm crew in assisting packing shed work
- Co-manage the inventory and care for products we sell from other producers
- Help deliver produce to town
- Host drop site pickups – interact with customers, drive a box truck
- Farm work (~20-30%)
- Assist in harvest before wash/pack, and in bulk harvest days
- Assist in field work including but not limited to seeding, transplanting, trellising, hand weeding, hoeing, using row cover, and moving irrigation
- Assist in some of the following work: greenhouse work, plant starts, tractor driving, farm clean up, farm projects and construction, winter high tunnel snow removal, winter chores & feeding
Background, Skills & Expectations
- Practical experience and knowledge of vegetable farms, ability to understand the needs of different produce for proper washing, packing and storage
- One+ season previous farm experience preferred but not necessary
- Flexibility and desire to learn new methods and farm systems
- Attention to detail with emphasis on quality control
- Good communication skills
- Energetic and motivated personality
- Excellent work ethic and positive attitude
- Conscientious and able to work with all kinds of people
- Strong back and knees
- Ability to work outside in all weather conditions: hot summers, cold winters
- Willingness to commit to the farm for the full year, ideally two
- Ability to drive stick shift truck & automatic box truck, not required
Compensation: $18-20/hr DOE
Housing: we can help search for a private apartment or house if you’re moving from out of town, and ask our network about rentals. There is no housing available on the farm. All employees from out of town have found housing.
Food: all farm seconds and some items we grow are available for the crew. Wholesale cost on other products sold in our food hub. Meals are on your own, with weekly shared lunches.
Professional Development: up to $300/year budget for pre-approved conferences/workshops + travelCompensationthis position is : hourly, $15-20/hr
Application instructionsPlease click here to sign in and view application details.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free!DeadlineApril 15, 2023Attachmentclick here to download the attached document.