Outdoor Adventure Logistic CoordinatorThe National Center for Outdoor & Adventure Education
The National Center for Outdoor & Adventure Education
The National Center for Outdoor & Adventure Education (NCOAE) — a values-based outdoors and adventure education provider for teens and adults interested in personal growth and technical skills development — is seeking a highly skilled and motivated Logistics Coordinator.
Under the direction of the Associate Program Director, the Logistics Coordinator is responsible for managing course-related needs such as transportation, gear and food for our wilderness-based courses. The Logistics Coordinator must be able to take initiative independently as well be receptive to specific tasks delegated by the Associate Program Director. The Logistics Coordinator shall be available to support the instructor team as needed.
Essential Job Functions
The Logistic Coordinator's essential duties and responsibilities are focused on those related to logistical management/support of the outdoor education programing. Specifically, the Logistic Coordinator shall:
- Oversee gear & food pack systems
- Coordinate the issue, de-issue, and maintenance/proper handling of the outdoor equipment
- Assess all gear for cleanliness and any needed repair
- Oversee weekly vehicle checks, maintenance, and communication regarding necessary repairs
- Manage and maintain inventories of food, gear, and course supplies- report needs to the supervisor
- Follow gear and food management systems to ensure easy packing, cleaning, repairing, and inventorying
- Orient staff to gear storage procedures, maintain expectations with staff
- Maintain organization and conduct routine cleaning of equipment and food storage areas
- Prepare and submit a variety of paperwork, including vehicle logs and inventories
- Provide transportation of gear, vehicles, field staff, and/or participants, including to and from the field
- Contribute to maintaining safe, fun and engaging courses, supporting the instructor team as necessary
- Participate in mandatory NCOAE-related training and meetings
Successful candidates must be flexible, and hardworking and have a proven ability to multitask and act quickly on their feet. A commitment to providing a safe, quality experience for students, as well as a basic understanding of NCOAE’s mission, values & core curriculum is also required.
NCOAE’s Logistics Coordinators are enthusiastic about outdoor and adventure-based experiential education and are collaborative and innovative problem solvers who can consider any and all possibilities when managing challenging situations and scenarios, but also understand and respect the need to default to the written procedure, while not being afraid to ask for help whenever the need should arise. Other required attributes include someone who:
- Communicates in an effective and timely manner to co-workers
- Proactively problem-solves and offers concrete solutions to challenges
- Consistently strives to appropriately share and receive feedback from co-workers
- Maintains the physical and emotional safety of course and training participants
- Serves as a role model by positively and proactively self-managing their behavior
- Commits to their own development, including the advancement of outdoor & interpersonal skills
- Ability to be flexible and handle changes in priorities, schedule, and duties with ease
- Ability to work as a part of a high-functioning team, responsible for the care and safety of others
- Proficient in basic computer operation, including but not limited to navigating the Internet; using programs like Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint; and corresponding via email and text
- Articulates and role models NCOAE’s mission, history, and values
Minimum Qualifications and Preferred Requirements
- Minimum age 21, High school diploma or equivalent required
- Maintain a valid driver’s license and good driving record required
- Prior experience working with wilderness programs, outdoor education, or related field preferred
- Wilderness First Aid or Wilderness First Responder preferred
The Logistics Coordinator will frequently be required to stand 7-10 hours per day and will regularly be required to lift and carry materials weighing up to 50 lbs. for distances of up to five (5) miles. Extensive use of a computer keyboard and the telephone is also required, as is walking and hiking several miles per day in rugged, remote terrain while wearing a backpack. The ability to perform job duties indoors and outside in all types of weather conditions is also required.
Shared, cabin-style housing provided for duration of contract, 3 miles from the beach.
About The National Center for Outdoor & Adventure Education (NCOAE)
Founded in 2009, The National Center for Outdoor & Adventure Education (NCOAE) designs and delivers handcrafted outdoor and adventure education experiences that promote personal growth, professional development, and stewardship in our communities and the natural environment. Accredited by the Association for Experiential Education (AEE), NCOAE is approved by the North Carolina Office of EMS (NCOEMS) to deliver Basic and Advanced EMT training to individuals interested in satisfying eligibility requirements for the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (NREMT) exam and state EMT exams.
At NCOAE, values are part of our DNA. They define what our organization stands for, highlighting an expected and ultimate set of behaviors and skills. Our values lie at the core of our culture — meaning, they are fundamental, enduring, and actionable. When properly executed at all levels of our operations, our core values play a central role in attracting and retaining students, partners, affiliates, and team members. They also guide us when making difficult decisions, prioritizing opportunities, and differentiating our brand.
Our Core Values are:
- Challenge by Choice: Self-determination allows us to challenge ourselves and others, enhance knowledge and understanding, develop new skills, change attitudes and behaviors, and build confidence.
- Collaboration: Thoughtful collaboration, based on the acknowledgment of one another’s strengths, allows us to optimize our business operations and deliver transformative student experiences.
- Compassion: We relate with others through acceptance and understanding in order to promote personal growth and engage student experiences in a supportive community.
- Innovation: By learning from our own experiences and championing original and derivative thinking, we seek to differentiate ourselves and provide unmatched experiences for those we serve.
- Proactiveness: Being prepared allows us to mitigate risks, improve student experiences, advance our internal processes, and plan for and be comfortable with the unknown.
- Resiliency: We persist in the face of adversity, learn from failure, and adapt and evolve to become stronger and wiser.