Office Coordinator II
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI
The office coordinator II is a key position within our organization that will oversee and be responsible for a wide variety of tasks. The best candidate for this position will be someone who is motivated and can work independently as well as in a team environment. This position will report directly to the Chief of Staff and will be a member of the IQ/BME administrative team. The ideal candidate will be someone who can take direction but also possess problem solving skills and be able to find creative solutions to issues independently when needed. This position will be located in the main office of the IQ building and therefore will also need to feel comfortable talking to visitors and other people in the building frequently and comport themselves in a manner in which people feel respected and included. Please be sure to clearly explain in your cover letter why you are interested in this position, how you can be an asset to our community, and clearly explain why your specific skillset meets the job duties below.
Specific duties for this position are:
Leadership Support (30%)
- Provide high level administrative support to the Institute Director, Chair, and Chief of Staff that includes organizing large and complex meetings and scheduling with internal as well as multiple high-profile external stakeholders; and creating agendas/minutes and disseminating to necessary parties
- Drafting and editing correspondence; ensuring compliance with university business, human resources, and regulatory policies; and interpreting and summarizing information to keep the director and chief of staff informed of pertinent events
- Use a high level of discretion and confidentiality with all sensitive information and will display a high level of professionalism when interacting with administrators, trustees, alumni, donors, students, faculty, staff, and other constituents in representing the director.
- Contributes to the overall smooth running of a fast-paced research institute
Main office Management (20%)
- Maintains in-person business hours in the main office to welcome visitors, assist staff, faculty and students, answer main phone line, and supervise student employees.
- Work with MSU Telecom to monitor building phone lines and ensure accurate billings.
- Assist with events hosted by IQ and other visitors that are held in the Atrium and other conference rooms to provide basic tech setup, training, etc.
- Work with vendors and purchasing to assist with asset procurement and tracking and pay invoices as appropriate.
- Assist in day-to-day operations and management of various operational activities, including perishable package delivery, various building visitor needs, providing hospitality for certain events in the atrium, etc.
- Prepares instructional documentation and training materials as necessary as it pertains to building wide processes and procedures
Event coordination (15%)
- Assists with coordination of events such as seminars, social and outreach events, and multi-day conferences and symposiums.
- Promotes events online and in print.
- Provides administrative support to the IQ/BME seminar series which includes creating and disseminating advertising materials, creating visitor itineraries, communicating and scheduling visitor travel needs, securing conference rooms and technology needs for seminars, etc.
- Provides event support day-of, such as purchasing supplies, assisting attendees, speakers, and caterers (if applicable), A/V support, setup and cleanup.
- Ensures participants in events consent to be photographed or video recorded to promote and publicize on social medial and online and maintains records of consent.
- Ensures events are accessible to all participants.
HR & Trainee Recruitment & Support (15%)
- Act as a resource to building trainees as necessary regarding use of student systems, university resources, and other items as necessary.
- Assists with recruitment efforts for building trainees, including attending recruitment events
- Functions as a resource and backup for the current BME Academic Program Coordinator when necessary.
- Functions as backup for student and TOC hiring and onboarding processes.
Social media and web content management (10%)
- Maintains and updates unit websites for IQ and the Department of Biomedical Engineering by assisting with basic web design and customization, content creation and curation, and accessibility compliance.
- Assists with initial setup of individual lab websites upon request and provides basic WordPress support and training as needed.
- Research and tracks information about faculty publications, awards, and mentions in online sources. Maintains internal database of information, if applicable.
- Interviews faculty, staff, and students to obtain information when grants are awarded or articles are published to amplify via unit websites and social media accounts.
- Manages multiple social media accounts and sets social media goals for both the Institute for Quantitative Health Science and Engineering (IQ) and the Department of Biomedical Engineering (BME).
- Develops and maintains social media guidelines for units and communicates guidelines through emails and faculty meetings.
- Creates and maintains digital signage in the building
Other duties (10%)
- Provides travel request and reimbursement assistance to residents of the IQ. Creates and administers needed training to ensure employees are more self-sufficient with the travel process. Processes non-travel reimbursements for IQ/BME.
- Assist in other department projects and initiatives as needed
- Serve as an Emergency Action Team member for the unit during an emergency evacuation situation and act as a communication point of contact with the Emergency Action Plan Coordinator
- Other appropriate duties as necessary
Unit Specific Education/Experience/Skills
Knowledge equivalent to that which normally would be acquired in the first two or three years in college, technical school or related field; one to three years of related and progressively more responsible or expansive work experience in a professional office setting, performing secretarial and administrative tasks, including experience with scheduling meetings, data entry, payroll processing, office machines, email and internet usage or in performing tasks related to the area of employment; experience in word processing, spreadsheet, mail merge, database, calendaring, publishing, and/or presentation software; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to work well with others, pays close attention to detail, and follows through on tasks; ability to manage/coordinate multiple tasks at once, and work collegially with faculty and staff. Experience with MSU travel policies, calendar management, event planning, and social media for an academic unit a plus. Ideally would have experience with the Microsoft Office Suite; databases and web-based applications; Enterprise Business Systems (EBS).
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or protected veteran status.
Required Application Materials
Qualified candidates should submit their cover letter and resume. References will be requested if needed. For more information about our organizations, please visit IQ – The Institute for Quantitative Health Science & Engineering
A Place of Possibilities (msu.edu) or Biomedical Engineering (BME) (msu.edu).
The university is requiring all MSU students, faculty and staff to be vaccinated against COVID-19 with limited exceptions. Learn more at: https://msu.edu/together-we-will/
Remote Work Statement
MSU strives to provide a flexible work environment and this position has been designated as remote-friendly. Remote-friendly means some or all of the duties can be performed remotely as mutually agreed upon.