American Electric Power
Job ID 36910BR
Assist in performing work involved with the installation, rearrangement, maintenance, operation, removal, and inspection of electrical transmission and distribution facilities; drive and operate line trucks and associated auxiliary equipment. All job duties apply to overhead and underground equipment and facilities.
Essential Job Functions & Tasks:
1. Assist with the assembly, installation, maintenance, removal and competently inspect underground facilities, conductors, fixtures, structures and other associated equipment on de-energized and grounded overhead and underground facilities under direct or immediate supervision.
- Demonstrate the ability to competently perform ground person duties under immediate or direct supervision as skill level dictates.
- Assist with loading, unloading, handling, maintaining, installing and removing poles, towers and structures.
- After completion of D-100, or equivalent experience, the employee must demonstrate the ability to operate Company equipment (with exception of digger/derricks and aerial lift vehicles), climb poles, ladders and structures, and work on de-energized conductors and equipment. Also, may work on conductors and equipment energized up to 260 volts under direct supervision.
- After completion of D-200, or equivalent experience, operate digger/derrick and aerial devices, under immediate supervision as skill level dictates. Also, under immediate supervision of a higher classification, may work on conductors and equipment energized up to 260 volts.
2. Assemble and install Line Material and hardware under direct or immediate supervision
- Use and store hand lines, tie knots and demonstrate a basic working knowledge with ropes and rigging equipment inspection and use.
- Splice primary and secondary overhead wires using the proper tools, hardware and equipment (including crimping and compression tools).
- After completion of D-200, or equivalent experience, under direct supervision, the employee may operate cutouts, line switches, reclosers, and other sectionalizing devices, refuse line and transformer devices. During this time frame, the employee may progress from direct supervision to immediate and finally general supervision as skill level dictates.
- After completion of D-300, or equivalent experience, test de-energized overhead lines and equipment install and remove personal protective grounds under immediate supervision.
3. Inspect and maintain tools, equipment and work area in a safe, clean and orderly fashion
Education: High school diploma or GED
Experience: No experience required. Line work experience or line school education is preferred.
Licenses/Certifications: Must possess and maintain a valid state driver's license. Employee shall obtain appropriate licensing as required by federal and/or state law prior to the end of the designated probationary period. Must acquire CDL beginners permit within 60 days.
1) Must have the ability and desire to acquire the necessary knowledge and skills to perform the duties and/or responsibilities of the key job (Line Mechanic A) in this family and be qualified through demonstration, examination and/or performance appraisal as determined by the Company.
2) Must acquire within such time frame as determined by the Company, the qualifications necessary to perform the duties of the next higher classification in the line of progression, or vacate the current job classification.
3) Successful completion of the Construction and Skilled Trades (CAST) selection test is required for this position. A review of Employment Testing Information, Test-Taking Tips, and the CAST Practice Test may be helpful. A link to these materials may be found at AEP.com Careers by selecting Employment testing. A physical abilities assessment is also required for this position.
Physical demand level is heavy.
**Hired candidate must live within a 30-minute safe driving distance of the facility located at 3340 Old US 20 E in Elkhart, IN.
American Electric Power
1 Riverside Plaza
Ohio United States
From the same organization