LIAISON – HEALTH AND PHYSICAL EDUCATION
Worcester Public Schools
The Worcester Public Schools is soliciting applications for a Physical Education Liaison for the 2022-2023 school year. To maximize the effectiveness of your application, it is recommended that you provide a cover letter, which describes the specific training, and experience that you have for the position(s) that you are applying for and t you ensure that the certification information in your SchoolSpring profile is updated. Your MA DESE certification number will allow us to verify that you possess the correct license. Please ensure that your SchoolSpring resume, specifically, is updated as this will be used to determine your Degree and Step placement on the Teacher/Liaison salary schedule.
As a Liaison in the Worcester Public Schools you will be expected to support rigorous instruction to the diverse population of students in Worcester Public Schools classrooms. You will be expected to align support to the district and state curriculum; to regularly support teachers as they plan for learning comprehension and the modification of teaching to ensure that students are learning; to provide support that is conducive to the learning needs of all students, especially students who are English Language Learner as well as students with disabilities.
The Worcester Public Schools is wonderfully diverse and our successful support staff and teachers capitalize on this diversity to provide rich learning environments. Being a support in the Worcester Public Schools will require that you have patience, perseverance, creativity, excellent content knowledge, and a true desire to prepare all teachers and students for success.
For applicants who are committed to the work of preparing Worcester students to excel in college and beyond, we offer a competitive salary package and participation in federal loan forgiveness programs (more information about these programs is available on our website in the Human Resources section.
1.Implement philosophy, goals policies and compact of the Worcester Public Schools. Facilitate the development of a learning community focused on raising expectations and providing rigorous core instruction for every student, every day.
2.Responsible for planning, developing, revising, implementing and supervising quality health and physical education program for all levels (Pre-K-12) in the Worcester Public Schools; progress to be measured against approved annual goals and objectives and budgetary allowances. This includes scheduling of itinerant staff.
3.Coordinate and provide leadership in ongoing curriculum renewal.
4.Responsible for providing leadership in the organizing and supporting professional development aligned with District and School Accountability Plan connected to solid, rigorous core instruction of health and physical education.
5.Responsible for promoting linkages between the Worcester Public Schools and various community resources, agencies, and educational institutions focused on the Massachusetts Health and Physical Education Curriculum Frameworks and the Worcester Public Schools Compact.
6.Responsible for the coordination and communication of local efforts in health and physical education with state and national groups.
7.Responsible for the coordination of activities that promote student achievement through skills, knowledge and assessment of student progress.
8.Communicate and coordinate with other liaisons in developing strategies to support the instructional focus and best practices of schools throughout the District.
9.Facilitate regular communication with teacher’s families and community partners regarding curriculum developments and best practices to guide teaching and learning that ensures all students are college and career ready.
10.Facilitate monthly meetings with Health and Physical Education teachers to ensure implementation of high quality health and physical education instruction aligned with the district improvement work.
11.Performance of other job related duties as assigned.
12.Responsible for planning and implementing the Bike Safety and the Fall and Spring Olympics programs.
13.Responsible for contributing to the curriculum newsletters and curriculum website.
14.Responsible for assuring equal educational opportunity to all individuals regardless of race, color, gender, age, marital status, religion, gender identity, national origin, sexual orientation, homelessness, or disability.
15.Performance of other job-related duties as assigned.
1. Masters Degree
2. MA DESE teacher license in Health Education and Physical Education.
3. Demonstrated knowledge and experience with current pedagogy as it related to evidence- based practices and support of the schools and district accountability goals.
4. Demonstrated knowledge and experience in curriculum and program development.
5. Minimum of five years' successful teaching experience in the field of Health and Physical Education.
6. Demonstrated experience in providing professional development for teachers.
7. Demonstrated understanding of adult learning theory and successful experience.
8. Demonstrated knowledge, experience, and engagement in providing leadership around school improvement.
9. Demonstrated knowledge and experience with current pedagogy as it relates to evidence based best practices in support of the school and district accountability goals.
10. Demonstrated knowledge and experience in delivering high quality instruction as defined by the WPS High Quality Teaching and Learning Framework.
11. Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in a team setting with other adults.
12. Demonstrated subject matter competency in the field of health and physical education.
13. Must Demonstrate Proficiency in use of all technology
1. Demonstrated understanding of how students acquire knowledge in the field of health and physical education.
3. Ability to speak Spanish, Vietnamese, Arabic, Albanian, Nepali, Portuguese, or an African Language.
5. Demonstrated experience supporting students with special needs.
WORK YEAR: Regular school year plus 60 hours of summer work
SALARY: Appropriate step on Teacher salary scale, plus Curriculum Liaison stipend of $3,215 which includes summer work of 60 hours, plus the Coordinator of Department Head stipend of $4,048
This deadline does not preclude further advertisement or recruitment.
Position Type: Full-time
Positions Available: 1
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Worcester Public Schools is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action
Employer/Educational Institution and does not discriminate regardless of
race, color, ancestry, sex, gender, age, religion, national origin, gender
identity or expression, marital status, sexual orientation, disability,
pregnancy or a related condition, veteran status or homelessness. The
Worcester Public Schools provides equal access to employment and the full
range of general, occupational and vocational education programs. For more
information relating to Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action contact the
Human Resource Manager, 20 Irving Street, Worcester, MA 01609,
Please submit complete resume and cover letter.
- At least 5 years of relevant experience preferred
- Master degree preferred
- Citizenship, residency or work VISA in United States required
This employer has requested that all applicants answer the following questions. It is highly recommended that you type any essays in a word processing program, save them, and then paste them on the proceeding job application page.
Have you ever been terminated for cause from a prior position? If so please explain.
Brief Response (Answer limited to 200 characters, including spaces)
Have you ever worked for the Worcester Public Schools? When? What capacity?
Brief Response (Answer limited to 200 characters, including spaces)
Do you have any relatives employed by the Worcester Public Schools or the School Committee?
If yes, please list name, title, and relationship.
Magdalena Ganias, Manager of Curriculum and Professional Learning
20 Irving Street
Worcester, Massachusetts 01609
Email: [email protected]