Lecturer in Spanish and Portuguese
Rice County, MN
The Center for Languages & Intercultural Communication (CLIC) at Rice University in Houston, TX is now accepting applications for a full time, benefits eligible, non-tenure track Lecturer in Spanish and Portuguese position to begin July 01, 2023.
This is a two year appointment with a strong possibility of renewal, conditional on successful performance reviews.
Job Duties for the successful candidate will include:
- Teaching Spanish and Portuguese to undergrad and graduate students
- Developing a coherently articulated program of instruction across proficiency levels.
- Implementing an innovative research-based curriculum.
- Designing, preparing, evaluating, and implementing syllabi, lesson plans, and assessment instruments
- Participating in the development and administration of students’ language proficiency assessment tools.
- Participating in professional development.
- Organizing and participating in language-related events and recruitment activities.
Must have received a Ph.D. degree in Spanish and Portuguese, Lusophone Studies or related
field (or having completed all the requirements for the degree) by June 30, 2023, three years of experience in second language teaching, and one year of teaching Spanish or Portuguese language at the post-secondary level in the U.S. If the Ph.D. is not in Spanish and Portuguese or Lusophone Studies (or similarly worded field) but is in a related field, the candidate must have completed at least 3 graduate courses in language teaching methodologies or possess a certification in second language teaching methodologies at the time of interview. Teaching experience cannot substitute for coursework in second language teaching.
Must have native or near-native ability to read, write and speak Spanish, Portuguese and English. Proficiency in all three languages is demonstrated by successfully completing a Rice video/audio interview during the interview process.
Must be committed to working effectively with faculty, staff, and students from diverse ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds.
Demonstrated ability to teach a content course in Portuguese, especially courses about Brazil and Lusophone Africa
CLIC is committed to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion in our teaching. We strive to promote an environment that welcomes and respects diverse backgrounds, experiences, and views, as this diversity strengthens our learning experiences. In this spirit, we particularly welcome applications from all genders and members of historically underrepresented groups, who exemplify diverse experiences and who are qualified to teach and mentor our diverse student population
How to apply
Applications that lack any of the requirements will not be considered for review.
- Cover letter
- Main aspects of your language teaching philosophy/approach.
- Describe innovative teaching project(s).
- How you envision yourself contributing to CLIC and to the Spanish and the Portuguese Programs
- CV (maximum 5 pages) – with a focus on language teaching experiences.
- Annotated Lesson Plan
- Explanation of learning outcomes and goals for all activities, written in English.
- Include any audio, video, or written supplementary materials.
- Include both lesson plans and student handouts with translations of the activity instructions from Spanish or to English, or from Portuguese to English.
- Student Evaluations from the last three years.
- Three References: Names and contact information. No recommendation letters accepted or needed.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Rice University is an Equal Opportunity Employer with commitment to diversity at all levels, and considers for employment qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, genetic information, disability or protected veteran status.
Rice University Standard of Civility
Serves as a representative of the University, displaying courtesy, tact, consideration and discretion in all interactions with other members of the Rice community and with the public.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement Rice University is an Equal Opportunity Employer with commitment to diversity at all levels, and considers for employment qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, genetic information, disability or protected veteran status.
William Marsh Rice University, commonly referred to as Rice University or Rice, is a private research university located on a heavily wooded 295-acre (1.19 km2) campus in Houston, Texas, United States. The university is situated near the Houston Museum District and adjacent to the Texas Medical Center.