Historic Resource Specialist
- Full Time
- Posted 6 days ago
- 55000 USD / Year
- Closes: April 6, 2023
- Job Summary: NH's Land & Community Heritage Investment Program seeks an individual with a passion for historic preservation to join as a Historic Resource Specialist, administering LCHIP’s historic-resource rehabilitation and preservation planning grants program.
- Job Qualifications:
The HRS works closely with organizations seeking LCHIP funding, providing guidance and technical assistance from project development through proposal evaluation and project implementation. The HRS is also responsible for overseeing the care and use of rehabilitated buildings and structures throughout a post-grant stewardship term of five or more years. Thus, the HRS’ ability to develop a positive, professional relationship with individuals and organizations and to maintain that relationship over time is essential.
The successful HRS will
- demonstrate an aptitude for understanding and interpreting various forms of technical writing, including the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for the Treatment of Historic Properties, architectural drawings, plans, estimates, bids, specifications, deeds, and contracts
- possess, or commit to independently acquiring, a general knowledge of the architectural history of the northeastern USA and the typical building practices and rehabilitation treatments for various architectural elements and materials
- value the opportunity to work directly with community groups and individuals to expand capacity and support the preservation and conservation of New Hampshire’s unique heritage
- be tactful, and utilize sound judgment and a thoughtful, resourceful approach to problem-solving
- communicate detailed information clearly, precisely, and effectively both verbally and in writing
- enjoy working with individuals with varying degrees of knowledge and experience to achieve common goals
- employ effective time and project management techniques to maintain efficient work flow
- thrive as an integral member of a small, high-energy, and collaborative team
- hold a degree in historic preservation/preservation studies, architectural history, architecture, or a closely related field, preferably at the Master’s level and
- bring two to five years of relevant work experience, although personal aptitude, a demonstrated commitment to historic preservation, and a willingness to apply oneself to the position will be equally valued.
- How to Apply:
Submit resume and cover letter to [email protected], including the words “HRS Search” in the subject line. No phone calls, please.
LCHIP is an Equal Opportunity Employer and an independent state authority that provides matching grants to New Hampshire communities and non-profits to protect and preserve the state’s most important natural, cultural, and historic resources. Its legislatively mandated mission is to ensure the perpetual contribution of these resources to the economy, environment, and quality of life in New Hampshire.
- Job benefits: The Historic Resource Specialist will receive a highly competitive starting compensation package to include • annual salary between $50,000 – $55,000 • 29 paid personal days off per year (9 holidays & 4 weeks personal time) and generous medical leave • access to the excellent health, dental, life insurance benefits afforded to classified state employees (2023 employee premiums are $520/year single and $1756/family) • enrollment in the NH Retirement System's (Pension) Defined Benefit Plan and deferred compensation (457 B) plan
- Physical Demands / Work Environment: The position may require very occasional evening and weekend activities. A clean driving record and a dependable, insured personal vehicle are required for regular statewide travel, which is reimbursed at the federal milage rate. The willingness and ability to inspect historical structures or sites including accessing heights, climbing ladders, navigating confined or dark spaces or uneven flooring and terrain, with possible exposure to dirt, dust, mold, guano, etc. is required
- Contact Name: Paula Bellemore
- Application Email: [email protected]
- Application Address: 3 North Spring St. Suite 100 Concord, NH 03301