High School Social Media Intern
University of Florida
Palm Beach County, FL
OPS-Sponsored Projects Clerical
The High School Social Media Intern will be responsible for coordinating the collection of stories and multimedia content (photos, stories, and video), working with the participants of the NSF REU/SURF internship program, and helping to execute a social media campaign across key platforms including Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and LinkedIn. The social media intern will work with the UF Health Communications staff and the campus Director of Communications to post to the institute’s social media channels. This internship is intended for students interested in gaining experience in science communications.
The following materials are required to be considered for the program:
- A personal statement describing your reason for applying to the internship.
- An unofficial academic transcript.
- An academic resume or CV.
- Two letters of recommendation.
- Up to six writing/digital media samples.
Stipend of $3,680.00 for the entirety of the internship, to be paid out biweekly over the eight week program.
Acceptance into the High School Social Media Internship is awarded on a competitive basis to Palm Beach and Martin County high school students entering their junior and senior year after the summer who are United States citizens or Permanent Residents.
Students must be 16 years of age by the start of the program on June 12, 2023.
This summer internship position is full-time for eight weeks. The intern will be expected to be on campus every day unless they have an approved reason, such as illness.
Acceptance of family members of existing University of Florida employees in the program will be subject to compliance with the UF’s nepotism policy.
The University is committed to non-discrimination with respect to race, creed, color, religion, age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, marital status, national origin, political opinions or affiliations, genetic information and veteran status in all aspects of employment including recruitment, hiring, promotions, transfers, discipline, terminations, wage and salary administration, benefits, and training.
Experience with photography, videography, creating and posting to a blog, Adobe Creative Cloud, and Adobe Express, as well as posting on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and LinkedIn are a plus.
Experience with Microsoft Office Suite and Google Suite.
Ability to effectively communicate in writing and orally.
Ability to work and maintain effective professional relationships with others.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
In order to be considered, you must upload your cover letter (or personal statement) and resume that describes your education, work experience, professional activities, volunteer activities, community engagement, honors, and awards.
Please submit a transcript (unofficial is sufficient) for each high school and college institution you have attended.
Upload a personal statement describing your purpose in applying to the social media internship. Please include responses to the following questions:
- A brief, one-line description of your education and/or career goals.
- Why are you interested in this program?
- What are your goals for this experience?
- What career paths are you considering?
- Are you passionate about science and research? How? Why?
- Are you passionate about science communication? How? Why?
- Do you have prior experience in social media/communications? Please refer to the Preferred Qualifications Section and describe it.
- Describe a situation when you experienced a setback. How did that affect you personally and your approach to the problem you were working on? In general, we want to hear how you feel about how obstacles and adversity play a role in reaching your academic objectives.
Please submit up to six documents or work samples that demonstrate your ability to create social or digital media content and communicate effectively and appropriately in both written and oral formats (e.g., school essays, photographs, videos, drawings, original images, social media postings).
Please provide names and email addresses of three to five references as part of the application process. When ready, the hiring department will contact the listed references via email requesting their reference letters to be uploaded directly to the application website.
Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (ET) on April 1, 2023.
This is a time-limited position.
Health Assessment Required:No