HARVEST & FARM CREW MEMBER
Working Hands Farm
Company descriptionWorking Hands is a small Hillsboro, Oregon based CSA farm that is dedicated to feeding people delicious, organic, nutrient dense farm fresh food. We believe in offering only the best to our members and we accomplish this by never making compromises that sacrifice quality. Everything we produce on the farm is grown & raised 100% organic and without the use of GMOs. We believe that our community should have access to a transparent food system that they can trust, that they can understand and that they can rely upon. Working Hands is here as a permanent fixture of this community and we are committed to a sustainable model of food production for both our clients and us, the farmers. We limit our CSA every year with the goal of accomplishing two things: conserving, protecting & improving our soils & providing our clientele with the best possible experience.Job description
Working Hands Farm is looking for a part time employee to join our harvest crew for the 2023 Spring, Summer and Fall season. This position is part-time 3 days per week (M-W, 8am-4pm/7am-3pm in the hotter months). The Farm Crew position will focus on all aspects of harvest and post-harvest handling during our Summer and Fall CSA, as well as transplanting, seeding, weeding, trellising and other general farm projects that take place during the course of a typical season.
*Important note… Working Hands Farm does not provide housing or meals for farm crew members. All farm crew members must live within a reasonable distance of the farm and be able to provide their own reliable transportation for themselves to and from the farm.
- We are looking to hire someone that is highly motivated and brings a positive attitude. That enjoys working both independently and with a team.
- We are looking for someone who is passionate about farming and sustainable agriculture on a commercial scale
- We are looking for folks who are strive to improve at whatever they do.
- Candidates must have a strong attention to detail as well as be able to see the big picture of what needs to be accomplished.
Skills and Qualifications
- Candidates with at least one year’s worth of experience working on a commercial farm are encouraged to apply.
- Must be able to receive constructive criticism and feedback
- Must be physically capable of performing all farm tasks in all weather (hot, cold, rain, etc).
- Ability to lift 50lbs repeatedly
- Farm work requires kneeling, squatting, repetitive grasping, standing and bending for long periods of time. Applicants should strongly consider this before applying.
- Have a valid drivers license
- Must be able to provide their own work gloves, work boots, rubber boots, and rain gear (this is mandatory starting on day 1)
- Be able to commit to work for the entire growing season April – mid November (week before Thanksgiving)
- Must be able to work well with others as well as to work well independently.
- Must be able to interact with CSA members in a polite and professional manner.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Employees are responsible for arriving to work 5-10 minutes before the start of the day and ready to work on the hour.
- Proper harvest and post-harvest handling of a large variety of vegetable crops
- Follow direction, systems and proper procedures
- Time management; work quickly, effectively and safely to accomplish the tasks at hand
- Record keeping
- Thoroughly washing produce to meet specifications
- Packing, labeling and organizing harvested crops in the cooler
- Keeping a neat, clean and organized workplace
- After harvest is completed crew members will be asked to participate in a number of other activities such as weeding, irrigation, seeding, transplanting etc..
- The Spring, Summer and Fall Crew commitment will be from April – mid November. We need someone who can commit to working the entirety of season at a minimum. Note: If both parties feel like it’s a good fit there will be opportunity to stay on for the 2023/2024 Winter CSA Season.
- The starting schedule is Monday-Wednesday from 8am-4pm (with a one hour unpaid lunch). As it gets hotter and the daylight grows longer the shift changes to 7am-3pm (usually by the end of June) and a few weeks of the season we sometimes start at 6am for those 100* days.
IMPORTANT: Please do not apply if you cannot complete the full season.
- This is a paid, hourly position. Compensation DOE. Starting at $15/hr
- First 4 weeks of the position are considered a trial period
- The position includes an every other week Summer and Fall CSA Share starting and coinciding with the start of our Summer CSA on June 27th – November 15th (a total of 11 shares).
Compensationthis position is : hourly, varies DOE, $15.00 – $17.00
Application instructionsPlease click here to sign in and view application details.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free!DeadlineApril 15, 2023