Gardener (Maintenance Specialist II)
City of Charlottesville
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
TO APPLY: Applications are only accepted online through the City of Charlottesville employment page and must be submitted prior to the listed closing date and time. Click here to apply.
This position functions as part of a team performing skilled and responsible horticultural duties related to grounds and landscape maintenance, installation of landscaped and floral bed areas in city parks, downtown mall, schools, right-of-ways and public facilities. This position is essential to maintaining an extremely effective team that follows defined schedules. Performs other duties as assigned. May supervise the work of subordinate staff, which may include voluntary, temporary and benefited staff on a day or project basis. Reports to a Maintenance Specialist III or IV.
The preferred hiring range is$17.01 to $19.46 an hour ($35,373.05 to $40,476.80 annually). Starting offer is based on applicable education, experience, and internal equity. This is a full-time, non-exempt, position. The position also provides excellent benefits including 13 paid holidays, paid vacation and sick leave, health insurance options with employer contribution, employer-paid life insurance, City's retirement options, gym membership reimbursement, and continuing education/training opportunities.
- For a general summary of benefits offered by the City, please click the 'benefits' tab on this posting, or visit https://www.charlottesville.gov/1047/Employee-Benefits.
- The City of Charlottesville manages its own retirement systemand does not participate in VRS; however, the City has a Portability Agreement with VRS and there are certain provisions that must be met. If questions pertaining to the Portability Agreement, please contact the City's Benefits Administrator at 434-970-3462.
Note: This job opportunity is advertised with a closing date of "Continuous." If interested in being considered, an application should be submitted as soon as possible. Applications may no longer be considered once a reasonable number of applications has been received or once a candidate to fill the position is identified. Applications may be evaluated on a continuous basis and interviews may be conducted as soon as possible during the recruitment with candidates who are best qualified. This job announcement may close at any time after 7 calendar days.
- Any combination of education and experience equivalent to high school or vocational school diploma or GED.
- At least two years of experience in a related field such as horticulture, forestry, or similar area.
- Required to obtain Commercial Pesticide Applicator license with Category 3a and 3b within 18 months of hire.
- VDOT Flagger certification within 6 months of hire.
- Possession of a valid, appropriate driver's permit issued by the Commonwealth of Virginia. Must be eligible to operate a City vehicle (To view our driving eligibility requirements, visit https://www.charlottesville.gov/faq.aspx?qid=166).
- May require a Class B Commercial Driver's License within six months of employment.
- Supplemental college level or technical/vocational school course work in related subjects preferred.
The City of Charlottesville is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Values Diversity at All Levels of its Workforce.