Federal Work Study – Reichert House Tutor
University of Florida
Alachua County, FL
STU AST – FEDERAL COMMUNITY SERVICE
The Reichert House Youth Academy is seeking enthusiastic academic tutors to join our team. The Reichert House Youth Academy is a City of Gainesville afterschool program that serves at-risk males between the ages of 8-18. Established in 1987, the program is designed to positively develop youth through methods of Educational Enhancement, Character Development, Recreation, and Health Awareness. Educational Enhancement consists of multiple components that are geared towards a concentrated focus in Reading, Math, Science, Language Arts, and Life Skills. Through various methods and avenues, students engage in targeted academic sessions designed to increase reported areas of deficiencies. Our academic program is designed to reinforce the basic academic skill set, which can improve students’ performance at their schools.
By helping our students achieve greater academic success, and by providing opportunities for professional training, Reichert House Youth Academy helps open doors to personal and professional growth opportunities that can benefit the students’ lives, as well as the community around them. Our ultimate goal is to increase the students’ chances for a positive, contributing role in society by becoming taxpayers through future employment to sustain themselves and their families.
The Reichert House Youth Academy Afterschool operational hours are Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 2:30pm to 7:00pm, with occasional weekend sessions.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Provide academic assistance for at-risk students of the Reichert House Youth Academy between grades 3-12.
- Assist with homework needs, primarily in core subject areas such as Math, Reading, Language Arts, and Science.
- Assist teachers in conducting remedial learning sessions for students with moderate to severe academic deficiencies in the fundamental building blocks of learning, such as decoding and phonetic development within the subject of Reading.
- Assist in conducting innovative learning strategies to increase self-engagement of Reichert House participants regarding academics.
- Assist teachers and staff in updating educational plans to reflect academic needs and progress according to Sunshine State Standards and pacing guides.
- Assist teachers and staff in the academic components of Service Learning Projects.
$15/hour at an average of 10 hours per week for 15 weeks
Currently enrolled student at the University of Florida and eligible for the Federal Work Study Program
Must pass a State of Florida Level II Background Investigation. The City of Gainesville will pay the cost of the fees for this process.
- Ability to establish rapport with at-risk male students, school counselors, teachers, parents, and Reichert House Staff.
- Ability to communicate effectively with students possessing various learning disabilities and behavior challenges.
- Ability to work independently, as well as on a team, and complete duties as assigned.
- Ability to exemplify patience regarding the academic progress of students.
- Ability to communicate proactively to determine students’ needs, goals, and academic progress
- Must be consistent and able to work regularly scheduled hours (one semester commitment)
- Must be able to drive to an off-campus location to the operating site.
- Ability to take instruction from the assigned Certified Teachers.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong time management and organizational skills, with an ability to model such skills for Reichert House students.
- Familiarity with de-escalation skills and non-violent communication.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Applicants must upload a resume to be considered for the position.
Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (ET) of the posting end date.
* Students seeking FWS employment should print/screenshot a copy of their Financial Aid Award Page, which contains the Federal Work Study award as proof of FWS eligibility. To locate your Financial Aid Award Page, go to https://one.uf.edu/financialaid/aidyear
Health Assessment Required:No