FARM STAND MANAGER
Founded in 2003, Balsam Farms is located on the South Fork of the beautiful East End of Long Island. We started farming with ten rented acres, one tractor, and a small roadside Farm Stand. We’ve learned and grown a lot since then, and today we farm approximately 150 acres of vegetables, flowers and herbs between the villages of Amagansett and Sagaponack, and an additional 60 acres of grain and straw. We also have four greenhouses: two for seedlings, and two for spring tomatoes and winter greens. As our farm has grown, so has our equipment collection and our staff. We now have over 30 tractors, many specialized implements, along with professional and skilled farm and field crews that make it all run. We feel very lucky to farm in such a beautiful place, on some of the most productive land in the world, and we are grateful for the support of our community that makes it all possible.
We currently operate one open-air farm stand in Amagansett, one retail market in Montauk, as well as offering year-round home delivery and wholesale options to local restaurants and businesses.
We strive to provide our community with a diverse selection of the freshest, highest quality produce grown in a responsible, sustainable manner. While we are not a certified organic farm, we are committed to growing in accordance with the organic principles set forth by the governing bodies in farming. We take care of our soils and use inputs and amendments that have been approved for organic production by the Organic Materials Review Institute. Sweet corn, pumpkins, and basil are the only conventionally grown crops we grow, in fields separate from the rest of our crops. We do not grow any genetically engineered (GE) or genetically modified (GMO) crops at all, including our corn varieties.
We believe knowing and being able to talk to the people that grow your food is one of the best parts about local agriculture. If you have any questions, please ask us, we’re happy to share our knowledge with you.
Who You Are:
Balsam Farms is seeking the right candidate to join our team. The right candidate has a diverse skill set including time management, people management and a positive attitude.
Season begins in mid May, and ends in late November.
Additional opportunities for growth and year round positions are available if you are willing to commit to and work for the full farm season (May – November), and/or for multiple seasons.
- Oversight of daily farm stand operations
- Pricing and point-of-sale (POS) management
- Managing inventory and ordering of local products on a daily basis
- Clearly communicate and delegate priorities and tasks to the farm stand staff
- Communicates closely and work with the other farm managers and owners to solve problems and stay up to date on what’s happening on the farm
- Retail and management experience preferred but not required (willing to train right candidate)
- Excellent time management skills and consistent attention to detail
- Flexible, creative, and able to work both independently and as part of a team
- Ability to take direction, ask for help/clarity, and give/accept constructive feedback
- Positive attitude
Housing not available
Compensationthis position is : hourly, varies DOE, $18.00 – $24.00
Application instructionsPlease click here to sign in and view application details.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free!DeadlineApril 10, 2023