Entry Level Police Officer
*Up to $10,000 Signing Bonus*
The City of Hyattsville Police Department is seeking candidates for the position of Entry LevelPolice Officer that exhibit good character, sound judgment, honesty, reliability, and integrity that blend together with the City’s philosophy for community-oriented policing to serve the residents of Hyattsville.
Nature of Work
The Entry Level Police Officer provides fully proficient patrol services to the City of Hyattsville, with the responsibility of protecting life and property, preserving public peace, and enforcing the laws and ordinances of the City of Hyattsville, Prince George's County, State of Maryland, and the United States.
The individual will be responsible for apprehending law violators, preventing and deterring crime, and serving as a resource to the community in identifying and resolving a variety of crime and other problems as a means of improving the quality of life.
The Entry Level Police Officer accomplishes these objectives as a member of an assigned shift and squad.
Essential Job Functions/Responsibilities
- Completes, reviews, and files a variety of reports, forms, and logs ensuring their accuracy and thoroughness.
- Obtains information from a variety of sources to identify criminal behavior, motives, and activities.
- Ensures efficient and safe operations while protecting life and property.
- Maintains good interpersonal interactions and relationships with the community to facilitate strong community relations and maintain a positive image of the department.
- Provides testimony in cases and performs all required activities during the judicial process.
- Attends and participates in a variety of training sessions, courses, and presentations to develop and maintain proficiency for assigned duties.
- Prevents and takes part in the initial investigation of illegal activities, domestic disturbances, accidents, etc.
- U.S. Citizen
- High School Graduate
- 21 years of age
- Possess a valid driver's license
- Ability to obtain and maintain minimum requirements of the Maryland Police Training Commission
- Hiring Bonus up to $10,000
- 25-year Retirement (LEOPS)
- Take Home Vehicle Program (50 air miles)
- Ability to Partake in Specialty Units
- Pay Incentives (Specialty, Skill, and Language)
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Shift Differential Compensation
- Yearly Boot Reimbursement
- Secondary and Overtime Opportunities
- Every Other Weekend Off
- Expansive Training Opportunities
- Insurance (Health, Life, Dental, and Vision) including dependent care
- Completion & submission of a City of Hyattsville Application for Employment
- Written Examination
- Physical Agility Examination
- Medical Examination
- Completion and Submission of a Personal History Statement
- Background Investigation
- Truth Verification Examination
- Oral Board
- Drug Screening
- Psychological Screening
- Interview with the Chief of Police
Applicants may be disqualification from the process, at any time, for any of the reasons listed below. This list does not serve to be all-inclusive. Candidates who are not permanently disqualified may re-apply in six (6) months. Possible reasons for disqualification are:
- Poor work history
- Poor driving record
- Felony conviction
- Illegal drug use, purchase, sale, or distribution
- Falsification of any application documents
- Inability to complete any of the component parts of the selection process
- Any other disqualifying factor as determined by the Chief of Police
How to Apply
For proper consideration candidates must completed and submit a City of Hyattsville job application, along with a resume and cover letter.
Applications are available for download by clicking here or can be obtained by visiting the City of Hyattsville Police Department.
It is very important that candidates include full addresses and contact information for references, as well as employers. Please check the “Do Not Contact” box on the application if you do not want the city to contact your present employer at this time.
Completed applications may be returned via one of the following methods:
- Email: [email protected] (please include the position title in the email’s subject line)
- Fax: (301) 985-5074
- Mail: City of Hyattsville Police Department, 4310 Gallatin Street, 2nd Floor, Hyattsville, MD 20781
Questions specific to the duties/qualifications of this position may be directed to the department's Recruiting Division at (301) 363-0957.