Engineer-Machine Shop Turbine
NRG Energy, Inc.
This position is accountable for all aspects of rotating equipment repair and projects from fruition to completion with the emphasis on safety, environmental compliance, quality, work scope definition, productivity, cost and schedule adherence. The position's significant emphasis is the maintenance, inspection, work methods, repair practices and standards for the repair of major rotating equipment (turbines and pumps) and select auxiliary equipment from electric generating stations and similar industries.
Note: Position will be filled at the Engineer Level based on demonstrated skills and experience.
- Promote accident prevention and safety awareness by conducting pre-shift briefings, weekly safety meetings, job safety audits, lockout/tag out compliance and accident investigations.
- Responsible for making sound, timely decisions with little or no supervision.
- Follow quality control procedures including ISO 9001 requirements and monitor shop floor personnel and documents for quality procedure compliance.
- Participate in a Team environment to develop work scopes, resource allocations and schedules in conjunction with the Planning Department, Shop Supervisors and Shop Management.
- Write technical procedures to ensure work performed on rotating and stationary equipment maintains personnel safety and equipment reliability.
- Write final repair reports.
- Perform equipment failure root cause analysis.
- Design and/or load rate equipment including tools and lifting/rigging equipment.
- Create machine drawings of new and existing equipment.
- Perform stress analysis on equipment using hand calculations and finite element analysis software.
- Perform material composition and hardness measurements.
- Choose materials for equipment repairs and manufacture.
- Manage projects at multiple work locations and monitor maintenance work to assure the most efficient/effective use of company resources and the timely completion of projects within the budget.
- Control Capital/O&M project(s) and budgets within the incumbent's scope of responsibility and monitor expenditures to ensure cost effectiveness and predictable cash flow.
- Perform special assignments within the incumbent's areas of responsibility to include staffing studies, policy reviews, maintenance plan revisions, program enhancements and problem resolution.
- Establish the highest standards of business conduct, discipline, and ethical behavior to insure continuing compliance with Company policies and procedures.
- Coordinate contractor activities as required.
- Normal office environment, machine shop and/or power plant environment
- Requires operation of a motor vehicle
- Work overtime and non-standard working hours as required
- Requires operation of a personal computer.
- Some travel will be required.
- The incumbent is required to be available on a 24/7 emergency basis.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering from an accredited college or university.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in a machine shop or turbine and pump repair.
- Strong understanding of mechanical systems
- Experience in utility size steam and gas turbines and pump repair.
- Knowledge of machining and welding processes.
- Valid state driver's license.
- Bachelor's in Mechanical Engineering
- Strong knowledge of materials, mechanics of materials, statics and dynamics.
- Experience with Autodesk Invertor or Solidworks software.
Additional Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proven skills relating to computer applications such as SAP, project scheduling, budgeting, safety and industrial hygiene, and an understanding of power plant operations are essential.
- The successful candidate will be a technical expert, capable of assessing equipment failure and directing workforce maintenance personnel to complete repairs and/or improve the meantime between degradation and failure.
Read the full posting.
NRG Energy, Inc.
1201 Fannin Street
Texas United States
From the same organization