Engineer II or Senior – Operations
Southwest Power Pool Inc.
Little Rock, AR
Requisition Number: ENGIN001401
Southwest Power Pool (SPP) is about more than power. We're about the power of relationships. Our employees have the opportunity to work together to ensure electricity is delivered reliably and affordably to the millions of people living in our service territory. We have been voted one of Arkansas' Best Places to work by Arkansas Business and we are looking for a member of our team who is passionate about our mission to keep the lights on!
We have a core ideology here at SPP that we stand by: Do the right thing, for the right reason, in the right way.
We believe in supporting our employees through a fantastic benefits package:
- Competitive pay with bonus opportunities
- Excellent insurance package including three great medical plans to choose from, employer-paid short term disability, long term disability, and life insurance
- Relocation assistance
- Flexible working environment for positions that are eligible where employees have the flexibility to work from home and come in where collaborative in person work is needed.
- Fantastic contributions to your retirement through a 401(k) savings plan with employer-match benefits and a defined benefit plan fully funded by SPP
The Operations Engineer is tasked with providing engineering analysis, performing engineering studies and data analysis in support of all Operations related responsibilities within the SPP Regions. The Operations Engineer additionally coordinates these analyses and studies, as appropriate, both within the SPP Regions and inter-regionally. Both real-time and forward engineering support is provided to the following functions: Reliability, Market Operations, Tariff Administration, and Scheduling. The operations engineer may also provide coordination support for the necessary SPP organization committees, working groups and task forces.
This position independently performs assignments with minimal guidance from the Supervisor. Approval is required for all expenses.
- Provide engineering support and analysis for all assigned Coordinated Operations related functions.
- Assist the Supervisor, Operations Engineering or more senior engineers with any special projects
- Lead in special projects based upon background and expertise.
- Lead contributions to NERC, WECC, and SPP committees, subcommittees, working groups and task forces.
- Be proficient in utilizing tools to perform analysis and provide engineering support. These tools include, but are not limited to, Alarming, Real-time Contingency Analysis, real-time powerflow, offline powerflow, constraint manager, transient stability, voltage stability, and market flow calculator to perform analysis and ensure reliable system operation.
- Be proficient in an understanding of tariff and market rules as appropriate.
- Be proficient in necessary modeling techniques.
- Be able to independently request and collect information, prepare and validate data, and execute computer runs for real-time, current-day, next-day, and other operational assessments of the transmission network. Only in unusual/exceptional cases would direction need to be given by more senior staff.
- Be able to independently collect information, prepare and validate data; execute computer runs for coordination and approval of generation and transmission maintenance outage requests.
- Be proficient in updating SPP network model data and other information for the IDC, ECC, and related load flow models and tools (e.g., SDX application).
- Make recommendations to management on long-range coordinated operations goals and objectives.
- Lead in the development, maintenance, and support of Operations related applications and processes.
- Be fully proficient in their understanding of and compliance with SPP Policies and Procedures.
- Be fully proficient in understanding of and compliance with NERC and FERC standards and/or policies.
- Be fully proficient in understanding system operations and/or planning principles and studies.
- Be active on any assigned SPP, WECC, or NERC committees, working groups, or task forces and taking on leadership roles as necessary.
- Be active in mentoring and training more junior staff members.
- Be recognized as an upcoming subject matter expert in relevant areas.
- Ensure compliance with all market operations control activities assigned to the Analysis & Support department of Operations Engineering, subject to the annual SAS 70 audit including maintenance of all documentation providing evidence of performance of those activities
The statements contained herein describe the scope of the responsibility and essential functions of this position, but should not be considered to be an all-inclusive listing of work duties and responsibilities. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned including work in other areas to cover absences, or relief to equalize peak work periods or otherwise balance the workload.
Bachelor of Science in Engineering, this degree should:
- Be from a university that meets the requirements to sit for the Professional Engineering exam (in Arkansas, that is most typically a degree from an ABET accredited university or a graduate degree from a college that has an ABET accreditation),
- Degree should be in a calculus-based engineering field and preferred degree programs are Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or Systems Engineering
- Engineer II – Two (2) years of relevant Engineering experience
- Senior Engineer – Five (5) years of relevant Engineering experience; Professional Engineer License may satisfy one year of experience requirement.
- In addition to being fluent in English, excellent oral and written communication skills are required
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Effectively communicate with engineers, SPP stakeholders and senior management
- Strong inter-personal and team work skills
- Documented experience in power system engineering, operations engineering, transmission planning or related disciplines
- The position requires a person who is focused on continuous improvement, efficiency, and collaboration and who holds to the SPP Core Values of challenge, accountability, balance, diversity, expertise, flexibility, integrity, loyalty, respect, transparency, and trust
- Understanding of and compliance with SPP Policies and Procedures
- Electric Utility Industry experience
- An emphasis on power system analysis and electric utility operations is preferred
- An advanced degree
- NERC Certification
Southwest Power Pool Inc.
415 N McKinley
Arkansas United States
From the same organization