Engineer: Electrical Control II – Hybrid
This position may be considered for a hybrid work arrangement based on ALLETE's needs. A Hybrid work arrangement means the employees position will be a blend of work performed both in-person and at an offsite location such as an employee's home office. This position will report to Duluth, MN.
Envision a future powered by carbon-free energy. We are the first company in Minnesota to deliver 50% renewable energy. Our engineering team is growing to support our commitment to 100% carbon free by 2050 and we are seeking engineers to join us during this exciting transition. As an engineer at Minnesota Power your work will have an impact on climate, customers and communities. You can expect to work on diverse and challenging grid modernization projects to support Minnesota Power's clean energy goals with many opportunities to grow and develop professionally.
- Work with a cross-functional team to execute and close out projects.
- Provide technical leadership and direction for engineering staff in area of expertise to assure application of sound engineering practices in a cost-effective manner to enhance customer operations, maintain reliability of systems and safety for MP employees and the public.
- Coordinate with stakeholders to develop control and protection for medium and high voltage electrical substation equipment and transmission lines.
- Perform control and SCADA engineering for all aspects of electrical substations including working with design teams to produce conceptual, preliminary, and final design of substation projects. Design responsibilities include development and modification of one-line diagrams, protection and control wiring schematics, and performs necessary calculations to complete and verify protection and control design for medium and high voltage substations
- Direct work of drafting technicians to create protection, relaying and control bid, fabrication, and construction drawing packages.
- Specify and order substation protection and control equipment, including relays, RTUs, and control enclosures. Reviews manufacturer submittals and approval drawings.
- Prepare bid documents for engineering and installation work to consultants or contractors. Reviews bids and makes award recommendations. Directs consultant work and review submittals.
- Provide SCADA expertise to project teams, other departments and field crews as needed. Develops point lists for configuration of RTUs and EMS.
- Follow NERC CIP standards for applicable project implementations.
- Provide technical assistance to other departments and field crews as needed.
- Has knowledge of local, state and industry codes and standards, for example OSHA, NESC, IEEE, NERC CIP.
- Perform site visits to substations in Minnesota, Wisconsin and North Dakota to scope projects and perform field verifications.
- Perform administrative work relating to projects and assignments; acts as staff advisor and technical consultant within and outside assigned department in area of expertise. This includes preparation of accurate schedules and budget estimates for substation work.
- Promote positive change in Minnesota Power business strategy through achievement of customer specific objectives and technological innovation of practical and profitable nature, (i.e., stakeholders benefit).
- Bachelor's degree or higher in Electrical Engineering
- Four years or more related engineering experience*
- Two years of related engineering experience* PLUScertification as an Engineer-in-Training.
A Master's degree in engineering may be equivalent for up to one year of related experience
Experience should include:
- Medium and high voltage substations and associated equipment experience
- Experience with control and protection equipment for medium and high voltage substations
- Experience in preparing and assembling bidding and construction documents (specifications, drawings, etc.) and supporting construction and commissioning
- Experience with protective relay devices including SEL, GE or similar
- Experience with DNP3 protocol
- Experience with GE D20 and NovaTech Orion RTU platform and configuration software
- Basic understanding of communication mediums and protocols used in industrial settings (Serial RS-232, RS-485, Ethernet, etc.)
- Control cable schedule creation and control cable sizing
- Wiring Schematic creation
- Manufacturer drawing review and approval
- Previous electrical utility work.
Read the full posting.
30 W Superior St Duluth
From the same organization