Thorlabs, Inc., Newton, NJ, United States
Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over Approximately 2,300 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
The Electrical Engineerconceives, designs and prototypes electronic laser equipment and its associated circuits and systems. Activities include documentation, vendor management, prototyping, and transfer to manufacturing. This position requires troubleshooting complex electronic devices problems, and being committed to customer satisfaction. Although the location of the position is in Newton, NJ, from time to time it may be required to undertake duties at other Thorlabs locations.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Design and develop electronics for precision scientific instruments and peripherals
- Take a design from an initial concept through prototyping, debugging and manufacturing phases
- Manage project timeline and costs
- Manage electronic component vendors and contract manufacturers
- Troubleshoot and resolve electronics related system issues
- Manage electronics engineering documentation and material specifications
- Develop test fixtures for manufacturing
- Research and develop photo diode/photo detector techniques utilizing associated technology
- Responsible for data entry, document revision and control in the Thorlabs ERP system.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.
- Minimum 3 years of hands-on experiences with PCB layout and design.
- Bachelor's degree in Electronics Engineering or experience in a related field
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Experience with PCB Schematics design software such as Altium,
- Strong proficiency in MS office and communication tools.
- Experience with software programming tools such as Labview or MS Visual Studio for test automation is considered a plus.
- Excellent statistical data analysis and problem solving abilities.
- Effectively reports progress and problems through written or oral reports.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment
- Strong innovation skill.
- Flexibility/adaptability in a fast-paced & dynamic environment.