Director of Human Resources
Legal Aid of Western Missouri
Kansas City, MO
Legal Aid is seeking a Director of Human Resources that will report directly to the Executive Director and is a key member of the Legal Aid of Western Missouri (Legal Aid) leadership team. This position works closely with the Executive Director, Deputy Executive Director and the Finance Director on many key aspects of Legal Aid’s administration.
The primary duties for this position are, but not limited to:
- Policy development and implementation;
- Development and administration of performance evaluation processes for all staff;
- Compensation management for all staff;
- Responsible for insured and non-insured benefit programs including negotiation and design in alignment with LAWMO’s strategic and budgetary objectives; responsible for securing bids for professional liability, property, and all related insurance for the LAWMO Board and staff;
- Oversight of implementation, communication, and day-to-day administration activities regarding benefits;
- Responsible for oversight of LAWMO HRIS;
- Maintain open and effective communication with all supervisors to provide HR support, guidance and advice;
- Advise supervisors throughout LAWMO as needed regarding effective personnel development, conflict resolution and progressive discipline through either correction or termination where necessary and provide or arrange for supervisory training on HR issues, as appropriate;
- Oversee the LAWMO staff recruiting process, including developing strategies for identifying, hiring, and retaining high quality employees;
- As needed, handle drafting job postings, perform background checks and employment verifications and set up personnel files and HIPAA files for all new staff;
- Oversee the orientation process for new LAWMO staff members;
- Responsible for full compliance with all HIPAA/FMLA guidelines and with all other laws and regulations that impact HR practices;
- Conduct confidential internal investigations of HR issues as requested;
- Implement Affirmative Action Plan and report semi-annually to the City of Kansas City, Missouri and other entities as appropriate;
- Promotion of positive work environment and culture through leadership by example, support of LAWMO image, active team approach and communication of expectations;
- Be a member of the LAWMO Executive Leadership Committee, the LAWMO 401(k) Oversight Committee, the LAWMO Personnel Committee and other committees as assigned;
- Work with LAWMO’s Finance Director to complete LAWMO’s 5500 and work with LAWMO’s Retirement Plan Auditor along with our Retirement Plan Provider on 5500 and all compliance issues; and
- Other duties and special projects as assigned.
Legal Aid of Western Missouri offers a professional and friendly work environment with integrity as our guiding principle. We are an equal opportunity employer with recruitment efforts focused on ensuring a diverse workforce.
Salary: $70,000 base salary; increased salary based on professional experience.
Benefits: Medical & dental, life, vision, long & short-term disability insurance; 401K/match and retirement plans, paid vacation, sick & holidays; flexible spending account, paid professional development; qualifying employer for Public Service Loan Forgiveness.
The qualifications for this position are:
- Four-year degree in relevant field and a minimum of 5-10 years’ experience in the field or in a related area, or combination of education and relevant experience;
- Extensive knowledge of commonly used concepts, practices, and procedures within human resources and personnel management;
- Knowledge and experience in information privacy laws, access, release of information, and release control technologies; familiarity with human resources information systems and software;
- Demonstrated organizational, communication and presentation skills;
- Ability to prioritize workflow and organize diverse materials and ability to handle multiple, competing and changing priorities; ability to perform effectively without supervision and within established time limits and ongoing deadlines;
- Ability to interact effectively and professionally, and provide exceptional service, both internally and externally at all times;
- And a great sense of humor.
Please submit resume, three professional references, and cover letter at https://jobapply.page.link/Usdas.
LAWMO is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. Those applicants requiring accommodation to the interview/application process should contact the Human Resources Department at [email protected].