Dining Hall Operations ManagerBowdoin College
Bowdoin College is located in Brunswick Maine with a student population of almost 2000. We make everything from scratch and consistently rated in the top 10 for college dining! We have our own butcher shop, bakeshop and organic garden that all supply food to our 2 dining halls and 3 retail locations.
In conjunction with the Moulton Union Culinary Manager, plans, develops, organizes, implements, supervises and evaluates activities of the dining hall. Directs daily dining hall operations. Responsible for delivering a dynamic dining program emphasizing culinary quality and excellent customer service that enhances the Bowdoin educational experience. This position has primary oversight for hiring and development of personnel; operational processes and documentation; budget management, customer service and unit project management. In collaboration with the Culinary Manager, Service Supervisors, and Registered Dietician, ensures that daily menu signage is descriptive and accurate.
- Responsible for daily operational supervision of personnel and facilities. Maintains high visibility and oversight in the dining hall during meal service to ensure optimum business performance.
- Responsible for interviewing, hiring, performance management, and payroll approval.
- Works with Associate Director and Culinary Manager to evaluate and plan staffing requirements of Moulton Union; keep job descriptions current, and plan for unit organization and job assignments that effectively meet department and employee needs. Assists Culinary Manager with developing and posting staff schedules and payroll review and approval.
- Oversees the daily menu labeling in Moulton Union.
- In conjunction with the Culinary Manager and Staffing Coordinator, directly oversees the student labor team of Moulton Union. Proactively communicates, schedules, trains, and leads this essential part of daily operations.
- Responsible for operational cost control management of the unit. Provides financial documentation such as invoices and food order reports to dining office in standardized formats to be used in preparation of monthly financial reports. Prepares and oversees data collection used to prepare food, labor and meal cost reports utilizing CBORD system. Analyzes weekly and monthly financial statements and uses information to maintain budgetary control of unit.
- Works with the management team to develop and implement department goals and objectives and ensures that dining program is marketed well in the unit through decor, signage, literature, appropriate staff/customer interactions, etc.
- Provides menu planning input for Culinary Manager incorporating healthy nutrition goals, student preferences, production capabilities, student and customer comments, and utilizing a variety of resources to keep menus contemporary. With the menu team assists in development of product specifications.
- Bachelor’s degree (or an equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities can be acquired) with coursework in a food or business related field.
- Thorough knowledge of food service principles and practices
- Understanding of staffing, equipment utilization and cost control management
- Effective communication and training skills
- Ability to meet frequent deadlines in an organized fashion
- Ability to interact positively with all constituencies
- Demonstrated commitment to personal professional development.
- 5 years of food service experience with 5 years of supervisory experience
- Experience with planning, execution and evaluation of large scale catering events
- Demonstrated reliability and must be able to work independently within a team atmosphere.
- Serve Safe certification (or to be obtained within six months of employment)
- A valid driver’s license and the ability to meet the eligibility requirements of the College’s current Motor Vehicle Use Policy.
- Allergen certification