Thames Water Utilities
This role will be based in our Clearwater Court, Reading. However, there is an option for hybrid working.
Who are we?
As the UK’s largest water company, we are taking action for a new world of water – fixing the problems of today and building resilience for tomorrow. In digital transformation, this means leveraging data and technology to transform our organisational capability, drive innovation and deliver impactful change to our customers, communities, and the environment.
The successful Data Scientist will be working with our data science platform to develop, deliver and maintain ground-breaking algorithms and analytics on an enterprise level. You will be part of the Data Factory, working together with colleagues in a mature data function with a growing centralised data platform.
Our team adds value by unlocking actionable insights from our data and developing Machine Learning and AI tools that feed into an AI enterprise platform. This is hosted on leading edge, secure platforms and tooling.
The role will provide exciting challenges and experiences as we progress towards a digital first, data driven business. You will work with interesting datasets including asset health, operations, geographical and people to help achieve improvements to real-world problems including leakage, pollution, efficiency, and customer service.
What you will be doing
- Communicate insight & regularly interact with stakeholders
- Apply problem solving and creative thinking skills
- Deliver and evaluate Data Science algorithms
- Deliver machine learning pipelines
- Automate data analysis
- Advise on mathematical approaches for problem solving
- Contribute to product development, support and maintain data science products
- Mentoring junior data scientists through the scope of a data science project
What you should bring to this role
- You will be resilient and must be able to build credibility quickly
- A degree in a quantitative discipline such as mathematics, physics, computer science is essential. A postgraduate degree in a similar field is an advantage
- Strong mathematical and statistical analysis skills are essential
- You will be a competent/advanced programmer in Python and SQL with working Knowledge of key data science libraries e.g. sklearn, pyspark, pytorch etc
- You will understand machine learning methods and have experience applying these to real world problems
- You will have at least 2 years of experience of data science within a business setting
- Data engineering skills are essential
- Agile certification is an advantage
- Knowledge and experience of the Azure platform and Databricks is an advantage
What’s in it for you?
Our Digital Team is a fun, fast paced environment where no two days will be the same. You will be working with like-minded people who really want to make a difference to our customers. We are committed to giving you great training and will make sure you are confident in helping customers.
We’re proud of the positive ways of working we’ve adopted during the pandemic, creating a more flexible and dynamic environment so all our colleagues can thrive. For our office-based roles we’re moving to a hybrid approach with various options across working from home, office and our sites.
Thames Water is a dynamic, rewarding and diverse place to work, with opportunities around every corner. If you join our team, you’ll enjoy a fulfilling career and flexible working arrangements.
Our competitive salary package includes an excellent contributory pension, 26 days holiday per year increasing to 30 with length of service and a wider benefits scheme including our benefits hub, which is packed full of offers and information to save you money and support your wellbeing.
We’re also proud to embrace and promote diversity and believe that creating a workforce that reflects the communities we serve will help us to thrive. We encourage applications from everyone and offer extra support for those who need it throughout the recruitment process.
Find out more about working at Thames Water.
Disclaimer: due to the high volume of applications we receive, we may close a vacancy earlier than the advertised date. This is so we can manage all the applications properly and give candidates a positive experience. Once closed, we can’t consider any further applications, so please submit your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.