Custodial Worker I
University of Florida
Custodial Worker I
Perform cleaning tasks in interior areas in accordance with established standards and procedures. Areas maintained include, but are not limited to common areas, stairs, elevators, restrooms, entrance areas, meeting rooms, large assembly spaces, and offices
- Perform cleaning tasks including but not limited to sweeping and mopping floors, cleaning restrooms and replenishing supplies, cleaning windows and walls, cleaning ceiling tiles and vents, vacuuming and cleaning carpets and upholstery, and other detail cleaning tasks as required
- Assist with heavy cleaning tasks such as stripping, sealing, and waxing hard-surface floors, including moving furniture
- Remove and dispose of landfill, recycling, and compostable waste from containers throughout the facility
Perform cleaning tasks at exterior areas adjacent to the building as directed. Areas maintained include walkways, windows, railings, entrance areas, and similar exterior surfaces
- Perform cleaning tasks including but not limited to sweeping, pressure washing, window washing, and operating power equipment such as blowers and pressure washing equipment
- Remove and dispose of landfill and recycling waste from containers around the facility
Perform general cleaning tasks and other duties as assigned
- Respond to unanticipated cleaning needs as required; unanticipated needs include but are not limited to spills, graffiti, and other unanticipated occurrences
- Assist in maintaining inventory of cleaning materials, tools and equipment, and restroom supplies in supply closets throughout the facility; notify supervisor of low inventory items in a timely manner; clean and maintain tools and equipment as directed; clean, organize, and maintain storage areas as directed
- Be alert to and correct or report any deficiencies regarding maintenance or overall presentation observed in any space; record observation and report to supervisor and/or complete maintenance work order or report to building management as appropriate
- Ensure compliance with safety standards, OSHA, ADA and other relevant regulations at all times
- Operate industrial laundry washing, drying and ironing equipment to clean and fold tablecloths and hotel linens as directed
- Perform occasional room set-up and/or breakdown (including moving furniture) as directed
Perform other duties as assigned, including special cleaning tasks or projects
$15.65 per hour
Completion of ninth grade
- Experience in all aspects of building cleaning including but not limited to floor care, wall surfaces, windows, and general cleaning of offices, restrooms, and food areas
- Knowledge of up-to-date cleaning methods, products, and materials including chemicals
- Understanding of handling and disposal of hazardous materials.
- Proficiency with computers and basic software applications
- Communication skills (verbal and written)
- Customer service skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions
- Function effectively in a fast-paced environment with frequent interruptions
- Handle multiple projects or tasks simultaneously
- Understand, interpret, and apply rules, regulations, policies, and procedures
- Work as part of a team in a multi-cultural environment
Special Instructions to Applicants:
This position is eligible for veteran’s preference. If you are claiming veteran’s preference, please upload a copy of your DD 214 Member Copy 4 with your application for consideration. See our Veteran's Preference Page for more specific information.
Please upload your resume and a list of references.
Normal work schedule:
7:00 am to 3:30 pm; days off will rotate to meet department needs.
• JWRU building is open 7 days per week and most holidays; employees must work weekends on a rotating schedule and holidays as needed.
• JWRU Custodial staff are ‘essential staff’ and may be called to work if the JWRU is selected as an emergency shelter or essential staff are deemed necessary.
Criminal background check required.
This requisition has been reposted. Previous applicants are still under consideration and need not apply.
Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (ET) of the posting end date.
Health Assessment Required:Yes