Community Resource Specialist I
United Way of Anchorage
Title: Community Resource Specialist I
Department: Alaska 2-1-1
Supervisor: Manager, Alaska 2-1-1
Organization Overview: United Way of Anchorage (UWA) mobilizes the community to make lasting, measurable changes in community conditions that improve lives. We have adopted a unique approach to community problem-solving called collective impact which allows us to directly engage with communities. Our workplace is fast-paced, collaborative, and adaptive.
Alaska 2-1-1 is a free, confidential service of Alaska United Ways and is a one-stop, statewide resource for connecting to health and human services. It is designed for easy use by consumers, service providers, case/care managers, constituent aides, and planners. The Alaska 2-1-1 call center operates Monday through Friday, 8:30am – 5:30pm. In addition, online access through the Alaska 2-1-1 website is available 24/7.
Position Overview: Areas of responsibility include day-to-day support of the operations of Alaska 2-1-1. This includes working with the Alaska 2-1-1 Manager and peer Community Resource Specialists to answer and document calls, providing information and referrals to community members who need assistance, and assisting with database management.
Previous information and referral or call center experience is a plus. Successful candidates must possess skills to complete certification through the Alliance of Information and Referral System (AIRS) as a Community Resource Specialist within a year of hire. Candidates must have the ability to work differing shifts between 8:30 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. as well as the possibility of some holidays.
Essential Functions/Roles & Responsibilities of the Position:
- Respond to calls and provide appropriate referrals using the resources available through Alaska 2-1-1
- Enter caller information correctly in the call module
- Perform follow-up calls as part of the Quality Assurance requirements
- Support other functions of the call center (i.e., prepare mailings, filing, etc.,)
- Ensure stability of the database platform
- Willingness to pursue required credentialing
- Day-to-day database work when fully trained
- Assess and meet the immediate, short-term needs of inquirers who are experiencing a crisis, including domestic abuse, mental health crises or thoughts of suicide
- Demonstrate strong customer focus with all users of the service; ability to work with diverse populations within the context of developing the cultural competency need to provide appropriate resources to inquirers
- Participate in and represent 2-1-1 in outreach to community groups, local businesses and social service providers to enhance knowledge, understanding and use of 2-1-1 services
- Other duties as assigned
Education, Skills & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in human services, or related field preferred; will also consider candidates with an Associates degree, some college education, and/or experience in a contact center/customer service and/or human service delivery.
- Excellent customer service skills: ability to work with internal and external customers in a friendly, cooperative, and professional manner.
- Ability to work well under pressure and handle conflict in a professional manner.
- Ability to adapt to changing conditions including shift changes, metrics, and during disasters.
- Work effectively with others both inside and outside the organization.
- Excellent PC skills, including proficiency in Outlook, Word, and Excel.
- Excellent English language skills including spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
- Ability to multi-task and work in a fast paced, high change environment with periods of both high and low inquirer volume.
- Resilient attitude including handling disappointment and/or rejection while still working well.
- Required to become AIRS certified when eligible.
Hours of Work: Candidates must have the ability to work differing shifts Monday through Friday between 8:30am and 6:00pm as well as the possibility of some holidays and occasional weekend and evening commitments.
Wages: Hourly position starting at $22.00 dollars an hour.
To Apply: Please apply online. You may also email resumes and questions to Nina Makarova at [email protected] open until filled.