Communications Technician (Central Jersey)
Requisition ID: 34445
FirstEnergy at a Glance
We are a forward-thinking electric utility powered by a diverse team of employees committed to making customers' lives brighter, the environment better and our communities stronger.
FirstEnergy (NYSE: FE) is dedicated to integrity, safety, reliability and operational excellence. Headquartered in Akron, Ohio, FirstEnergy includes one of the nation's largest investor-owned electric systems, more than 24,000 miles of transmission lines that connect the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions, and a regulated generating fleet with a total capacity of more than 3,500 megawatts.
About the Opportunity
This is an open position with Jersey Central Power and Light [JCP&L], a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp.
The Communications Technician is responsible for the installation, testing, adjusting, troubleshooting, and repair of all telecommunications and electronic equipment associated with power system control, data acquisition, protective relaying, voice & data networks, security systems, wire line, fiber optic, and radio frequency technologies.
Additional Responsibilities Include:
– Troubleshooting ranges from system to component level.
-Repairing printed circuit boards, identifying and replacing faulty capacitors, resistors, diodes, transistors, integrated circuits, etc.
– Assisting in preparing maintenance procedures and evaluating test methods and test equipment.
– Preparing circuit drawings of some complexity from catalog information, manufacturers' documentation, engineering sketches, and as built' information as instructed.
– Conducting special studies and tests as required.
– Investigating and correcting customers' radio and television interference complaints.
– Performing distribution switching as required in unattended substations.
– Directing the work of others, including outside vendors and contractors, assigned to assist you.
– Performing routine clerical work, including field and time reports, and material requisitions.
– Must possess an FCC General Radiotelephone Operator License (PG) or be able to obtain this license within 6 months of hire.
– Three (3) years minimum industry experience or other applicable experience and training in a similar type of work environment.
– Must demonstrate the ability to understand circuit level schematic drawings.
– Must demonstrate a relatively high degree of analytical ability, and exercise relatively independent judgment under direction.
– Must be able to perform a relatively wide variety of non-routine work.
– Must be familiar with the company's safety rules applicable to this and related jobs.
– Must be thoroughly familiar with the company's electrical and mechanical tagging rules.
– Work is highly complex and varied. The highest grade of mechanical skill and dexterity is required.
– Good personal communications skills are required to support frequent intra-company and public contacts.
76 S Main St
Ohio United States
From the same organization