Thorlabs, Inc., Newton, NJ, United States
Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over Approximately 2,300 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
The position is responsible for the full layout, fixturing and programming of multi-tasking CNC lathes and or 3-5 axis milling machines in a fast-paced, team environment. The position is responsible for programming the day-to-day operations of our CNC machining centers and CNC lathes used to meet both production schedules and the rapid prototyping requirements of R&D. This position will include interacting with both manufacturing and R&D teams to ensure continuous improvement of production and quality processes. Additional responsibilities include collaborating with the production planners to maintain the schedule that has been set in our scheduling software.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Provide machining support for the fabrication of components which range in size from miniature to large
- Work from complex drawings, prototype sketches, electronic files and/or verbal instructions to facilitate the manufacturing of parts and assemblies by programming CNC mills and lathes and a variety of general machine shop equipment.
- Selection of proper tooling and fixturing
- Work directly with design engineers to optimize the manufacturability of components
- Improve shop efficiency with design, programing, tooling, and fixturing optimizations
- Production of high precision parts with the ability to write and troubleshoot machine programs.
- Recommend and implement cost reduction strategies for new and existing work
- Actively pursues new machining technologies and researches state of the art equipment to keep our shop at the leading edge of technology.
- Provides labor and material estimates developed from provided drawings, electronic files and blueprints.
- Demonstrate basic understanding of CAD packages such as SolidWorks.
- Capable of working independently in GibbsCAM utilizing 3D models imported from SolidWorks.
- This individual must be able to work independently and troubleshoot when unplanned problems occur
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.
- Minimum of 5-7 years’ experience in a machining environment.
- High School Diploma or equivalent or equivalent work experience
- Relevant Certification or Trade School, a major plus
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Thorough knowledge of CNC Lathes, Vertical and Horizontal Milling
- Ability to program complex work on 4+ axis equipment
- Experience with Haas, Fanuc and Okuma controls.
- Understanding of manual programming (G codes/M codes)
- Familiar with the operation of DNC systems.
- Capable of fabricating precision tools and fixturing.
- Experience machining tight tolerances and complex geometries.
- Solid understanding of geometric dimensions and tolerances.
- Programming experience of multi-tasking machines a plus.
- Working knowledge of Solid Works is required
- GibbsCAM experience is a must
- Comply with high quality standards
- Ability to work well independently and in a team
- Must be proficient in all areas of MS Office