CNC Operator 2nd Shift
CNC Operator 2nd Shift
Thorlabs, Inc., Newton, NJ, United States
Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over 1800 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
Thorlabs’ machine shop has over 50 CNC spindles and is adding 5+ new spindles per year. In 2020 our shop will move into a new, custom built, 150,000sqft state-of-the-art facility with over 50,000 sqft devoted to the machine shop. We are looking for qualified CNC operators capable of meeting our current and future needs. The standard 2nd shift hours are from 4pm to 2:30am, which is a minimum of 10 hours of overtime each week. In addition the 2nd shift is paid a differential for the entire shift. If the overtime isn’t desired we can offer flexibility on start/finish times within the 2nd shift. The benefits package includes health care, paid time off, 401k with matching, and more. After 1 year, 2nd shift employees are eligible to apply for 1st shift openings.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Responsible for set-up and operation of CNC machines
- Basic CNC programing
- Operation of manual mills, lathes and other secondary equipment.
- Blueprint reading and geometric tolerancing
- Works independently and inspects his or her work to the specified standards on the drawings.
- Preventative maintenance on the CNC machines
- Other duties as required to ensure efficient operation of the shop
- Comply with safety regulations and maintains a clean and orderly work space
- 3 years of experience in a similar position preferred
- CNC Programming a plus
- High School Diploma or equivalent or equivalent work experience
- CNC certification or CNC Trade School, a major plus
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Setup Time Reduction a plus
- Prototyping experience a plus
- Strong sense of ownership and work ethic
- Communication skills
- Ability to work well independently and in a team
- Comply with high quality standards
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.