Beach Lifeguard (Seasonal / PT) 2023 (20354295)
Orange County, NC
211 8th Street Seal Beach, 90740
PART TIME STATUS:
This is a part-time, at-will, non-benefited position. Work schedule is up to 40 hours per week during the summer season and is limited to 1,000 hours per year.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS include:
Beach Lifeguards are responsible for marine safety protection. Under general supervision, guards an assigned area of beach from a station; patrols a section of beach in a mobile unit; warns of hazardous conditions; rescues people in distress or in danger of drowning; answers questions and gives information pertaining to the beach and ocean environment; applies first aid to those in need; removes hazardous obstacles from sand and water; takes charge of lost children; advises regarding local beach and ocean-related ordinances, regulations, safety and conduct; maintains a professional and courteous relationship with the public and performs other related work as required.
- 18 years of age or older (or high school graduate) on or before July 1, 2022 (proof required).
- Possession of a valid California Driver’s License.
- Ability to act quickly and calmly in emergencies.
- Ability to analyze situations and determine proper course of action.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Ability to interpret and explain policies and procedures.
- Physical Requirements: maintain physical condition necessary for swimming, running, walking, crouching or crawling during emergency operations; walk, stand or sit for extended periods of time; operate assigned motorized equipment and vehicles; maintain effective audio/visual discrimination and perception to the degree necessary for the successful performance of assigned duties; have 20/40 vision (uncorrected) and work in a beach and ocean environment near or in water with exposure to inclement weather.
PHYSICAL EXAM DATES
Location: Seal Beach Marine Safety Headquarters, 888 Ocean Ave, Seal Beach
- Saturday, March 25, 2023 – 12:00pm Start Time
- Sunday, April 2, 2023 – 8:00am Start Time
NOTE: YOU ONLY NEED TO ATTEND ONE EXAM.
PHYSICAL EXAM COMPONENTS*
- 1,000 meter swim
- 600 meter run-swim-run
- Posting of physical examination results
- Oral Interviews (Only top candidates will be given time for an oral interview)
- Mandatory briefing for all candidates accepted into Training Academy
*The 1,000 meter ocean swim and the run-swim-run tests will determine who qualifies for the oral interviews. Any qualified individual with a disability must provide reasonable notice to the City prior to the testing process that reasonable accommodation is required.
Acceptable candidates will be entered into the lifeguard training program. If selected, incumbent will be required to submit written identification proving eligibility to work in the United States. Employment is an at-will position with the City of Seal Beach. At-will employees may be terminated at any time, by the employee or the City, without any notice and without cause and without any right of appeal.
A preemployment background investigation including a physical, drug-screening, reference check, and fingerprinting must be completed prior the beginning of the training program.
This mandatory training program will be conducted on Fridays from 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m., Saturdays and Sundays from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Training dates are:
- April 29th and 30th
- May 5th, 6th, 7th, 12th, 13th, 14th, 19th, 20th, and 21st
Candidates will be trained in all phases of ocean lifeguarding techniques and procedures.
A written and practical test will be administered on Sunday, May 21, 2023 to those candidates who have successfully completed the lifeguard training program. Beach Lifeguards will be selected based upon their test results and their performance during the training.
Beach Lifeguard trainees are compensated at $15.50 per hour. Successful trainees who are appointed as Beach Lifeguards will then be compensated at the higher Beach Lifeguard pay rate.
Candidates who are hired as Beach Lifeguards must be available for 40 hours per week for the entire summer season. This requirement may be waived for extenuating circumstances on a case-by-case basis.
Please note that only online applications submitted via CalOpps are being accepted for this recruitment. Faxes, emails or postmarks will not be accepted.
Any qualified individual with a disability must provide reasonable notice to the City prior to the testing process that reasonable accommodation is required. The City of Seal Beach is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you have further questions, contact Seal Beach Marine Safety Headquarters at 562-430-2613.
Contact phone extension:
Lauren Barich at Ext. 1336