ASSISTANT PUBLIC SAFETY DIRECTOR/FIRE CHIEF
Cedar Falls, IA
City of Cedar Falls is seeking candidates to test for and fill the position of Assistant Public Safety Director/Fire Chief. Candidates must possess the ability to: plan, direct, manage and oversee the activities and operations of the Fire Division within the Public Safety Services Department; serve as the City’s Fire Chief per the Iowa Code; serve as the Director of Public Safety in the absence of; coordinate assigned activities with other city departments and outside agencies; and provide highly responsible and complex administrative support to the Director of Public Safety. The Fire Chief exercises direct supervision over Fire Captains, Public Safety Supervisors, Public Safety Officers, and non-sworn civilian, technical, and clerical staff.
Ideal candidates will have the following fire supervisory experience, abilities and skill set: recruitment, training, development, evaluation and correction of sworn and non-sworn staff; innovative approaches to fire administration and customer service delivery; the ability to effectively introduce and implement change; effective communicator; goal setting, strategic planning and policy development/application, financial planning, forecasting and budgeting; employee relations and collective bargaining; and strong interpersonal and decision making skills providing sound solutions to sensitive fire enforcement issues and community problems. Candidates with the above attributes in fire management are strongly desirable.
Minimum experience, education or formal training, and licenses/certifications required:
– 6 years of professional police or fire supervisory experience, and candidates must also meet Iowa Code Section 400.13 requirements for Fire Chief;
– Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university;
– Graduation from the National Fire Academy Executive Fire Officer Program or equivalent institute preferred;
– Possession of an appropriate, valid driver’s license; and
– Possession of, or the ability to obtain: certification as a police or reserve officer in the State of Iowa;
– Possession of, or ability to obtain, an appropriate Firefighter I Certification in the State of Iowa and specialized training certifications.
– Possession of, or ability to obtain, Fire Instructor I Certification in the State of Iowa.
For consideration, please submit a resume, completed application form (from Cedar Falls City Hall or www.cedarfalls.com/jobs ), copies of: transcripts/proof of education, driver’s license, and State of Iowa police or reserve officer, and fire certifications to: City of Cedar Falls, Finance & Business Operations Dept., Attn: Ass’t Director of Public Safety/Fire Chief, 220 Clay Street, Cedar Falls, IA 50613 OR [email protected] Deadline for application materials: 4-3-23 at 4:30 p.m.
Equal Opportunity Employer