Assistant Professor of Biology
Botanical Society of America
Assistant Professor of Biology
SUNY Geneseo – Geneseo, NY, United States
Position Title:Assistant Professor of Biology
Position Type:Tenure-Track Assistant Professor
Application Review Begins:Wednesday, March 08, 2023
Application Deadline:Monday, April 03, 2023
Field (e.g., systematics):plant science
City:Geneseo, NY, United States
General Information:The Department of Biology at SUNY Geneseo invites applications for a tenure track position at the rank of Assistant Professor to begin in August 2023. The department seeks a plant scientist who will contribute to the broad education in biology we provide to our majors and to the college community. Strong candidates will demonstrate connections between their work in plant sciences to sustainability and/or other global issues.
The mission of the Department of Biology at SUNY Geneseo is to provide students reflecting the diversity of New York State with a broad background in biology, which can be used as a solid foundation for various careers in the biological sciences and health professions. We aspire to promote belonging among all our students, faculty and staff. Please visit our website to learn more about our work in support of diversity, equity, and inclusion: https://www.geneseo.edu/biology/diversity-equity-and-inclusion-biology. We want students to appreciate and value biological diversity, the range of ways we study and understand it, and to leave the program with an increased sense of stewardship for the earth. Our department, campus, and the local region provide many unique opportunities for a plant scientist, including a campus greenhouse, herbarium, and arboretum, and connections with local land trusts, Cornell Cooperative Extension, nature reserves, and state parks.
– PhD in relevant discipline conferred by time of appointment (9/1/23)
– Expertise in the field of plant sciences
– Demonstrated commitment to fostering an inclusive teaching and working environment welcoming to students and colleagues across identity groups
– Ability to teach introductory biology courses, upper-level electives in plant sciences, and courses for non-majors
– Demonstrated potential to develop and maintain a research program that engages and mentors undergraduate students
– Teaching experience in the plant sciences or related fields
– An interest in applying expertise in plant sciences to teaching and research in sustainability or other global challenges
– Demonstrated engagement with issues in diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging
– Relevant research publications in peer-reviewed journals
– Postdoctoral research experience in their field
Responsibilities:The duties of the position include:
· Teaching courses in introductory biology and/or non-majors biology, and elective courses in plant sciences (with a typical 3 × 3 teaching load per semester, including lab courses)
· Maintaining a research program in plant sciences that engages undergraduate students
· Academic advising
· Service to the department, the college, the community, and profession
Application Instructions (submission methods, etc.):To apply, submit an online faculty application at https://jobs.geneseo.edu/
In all components of the application, candidates should demonstrate their commitment to fostering an inclusive teaching and working environment in their roles as teacher, research mentor, advisor, and colleague.
The initial application should consist of:
– A cover letter that addresses the required and preferred qualifications
– Curriculum vitae
– Statement of teaching experience and interests
– Statement of research experience and interests, which should address plans to engage and mentor undergraduate scientists.
– Contact information (email address) for three references from whom a letter will be requested by the search committee when an applicant moves to the interview stage.
Review of completed applications will begin upon receipt. To ensure full consideration, application must be completed by April 3, 2023. Applications may continue to be reviewed until job is filled. Initial interviews are anticipated to be conducted virtually in mid-late April.
Contact Name:Jennifer Apple, [email protected]