Assistant Plant Manager
Job ID: 11651
LOCATION: BAKERSFIELD, CA
- This is a leadership position with responsibility for all aspects of Operations and Maintenance including direct leadership of two (2) operations and one (1) maintenance supervisors as well as the fuel coordinator position.
- As a leader, this position is an integral part of the site management team. A high degree of communication and collaboration with others is required. Proactive leadership (by example) to reinforce DTE's core values of Safety, Reliability, Efficiency, and Responsibility to continuously improve and develop employee culture is critical for the success of this position.
- The person holding this position provides leadership to the operations and maintenance groups on the daily operation of equipment under the general direction of the Plant Manager. He or she manages the daily operation of the facility to insure the environment and plant personnel are safe. He or she will be knowledgeable of all environmental and compliance permits and how they are implemented in an operating plant. This person will also have a demonstrated knowledge of the maintenance management function of a biomass power plant managing the planned outage activities; focused on optimization of scope, schedule and budget.
- Reporting to the Plant Manager, the employee functions as part of the site leadership team utilizing their technical expertise, discretion, and judgment within established policies, procedures and practices.
- Results are reviewed through the achievement of set goals and adherence to these policies, procedures and practices.
Maintains a strong safety culture. Complies with all site safety and environmental requirements and procedures. Identifies safety hazards and takes corrective actions as necessary. Assists with the development of, and ensures that all site safety requirements and procedures are properly implemented, consistently observed and corrective actions are initiated when applicable.
Develops, implements and manages consistent plant operating philosophies and best practices to maximize plant availability, efficiency and productivity.
Constantly reviews and improves operational processes and ensures that operating personnel are properly trained and adhere to established procedures and standards in accordance with prudent industry practices.
Manages the supervisors and fuel coordinator to ensure safe and efficient operation and maintenance of the plant while actively managing schedules to minimize overtime and comply with administrative guidelines.
Establishes and adds to/modifies as required all predictive/preventive maintenance requirements programmed into the maintenance management system in alignment with maintenance strategy.
Support the fuel coordinator to ensure storage and mixing of biomass fuel, maintenance of positive fuel supplier relationships through efficient disposition and overall quality control of fuel supply through fuel yard QA/QC procedures.
Develops performance goals and reviews in a comprehensive, open, and objective manner to align employee accountabilities and conduct with operational processes in accordance with administrative guidelines.
Investigates operating abnormalities and incidents to improve equipment availability and performance and to minimize maintenance requirements.
Prepares necessary plant operation reports in a timely manner and investigates all forced outages; reporting them in accordance with the BU practice through SharePoint.
In collaboration with Plant Manager, prepares and continually evaluates the operating department's budgets and/or makes recommendations to the Plant Manager relative to optimization of operations and maintenance costs.
Develop the maintenance supervisor and assists with maintenance engineering evaluation and troubleshooting of equipment abnormalities. Maintains a consistent and effective level of communications with Plant Manager, Supervisors, Administrative staff, and Control Operators on shift.
Lead project management of all planned outage activities, including long term planning for capital improvements.
Establishes department and group goals based on market dynamics and the needs of customers, employees, the owners and other stakeholders.
Support management of change process to ensure traceability and collaboration on execution.
Lead / support problem solving activities and coach and mentor the 4 CI capabilities within the team.
Assures proper staffing, scheduling, orientation and training of the plant staff, and manages compliance with all company policies and procedures. Supports recruiting, interviews and assigns operations and maintenance employment candidates.
Minimum Education & Experience Requirements
A high school diploma or equivalent and knowledge and capabilities typically acquired through at least 5 years supervisory or managerial experience in a power plant/heavy industrial setting OR an Associate's degree or industry-recognized certificate (i.e., the completion of a core group of course designated by the institution in a related discipline is preferred) and knowledge and capabilities typically acquired through at least 3 years supervisory or managerial experience in a power plant/heavy industrial setting OR 2 years of military experience at an officer level OR a Bachelor's degree in a related discipline with a minimum of 2 years of supervisory or managerial experience in a power plant/heavy industrial setting.
Additional consideration provided for biomass power-plant related experience and technical degrees.
Thorough, demonstrated understanding of plant operations and maintenance, with strong knowledge of generating equipment, biomass fired boilers, and water treatment processes.
Ability to analyze and improve operations business processes, utilizing information about market dynamics and competitors' processes and achievements.
Proven planning and scheduling experience working with warehouse, O&M, and other technical personnel involved with preventative/predictive maintenance and corrective maintenance.
Solid knowledge of plant engineering and plant maintenance functions and how they relate to operations and income.
Experience with accounting practices as it relates to analyzing cost impacts to budget.
Demonstrated skill in planning, coordinating and directing varied programs and tasks directly effecting the overall plant operation.
Strong oral and written communication skills.
Ability to work shifts and extra/irregular hours and to work under unusual and special conditions that can arise in a biomass generation station.
Ability to pass respirator fit tests to use respiratory protective equipment or self-contained breathing apparatus at all times.
2000 2nd Ave
From the same organization