2023 Summer Camp Director (20355739)
Bay County, MI
22 Orinda Way Orinda, 94563
Orinda is a delightful place in which to live, work and play! Join the Orinda summer camp staff as Camp Director and help build your knowledge and skills working with a professional staff and make a positive impact in our community!
The City of Orinda Parks and Recreation Department seeks a qualified, experienced and trustworthy individual with a passion to work with youth as a summer Recreation Program Specialist (Camp Director) in the Recreation Division. This position takes direction from and reports to the City's full-time Recreation Coordinator.
INTERVIEWS:In person group interviews will occur on Saturday, April 1st from 12:30 – 2:30 pm OR Wednesday, April 12th from 4:30 – 6:30 pm. Please be prepared to attend one of these times.
SUMMER CAMP SEASON:Must be available for summer camp season June 5 – August 11, 2023.
WORK HOURS: Work hours vary depending on the number of staff and youth participants. Approximate work hours are Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.
MANDATORY TRAINING:Must be available for paid training on Saturday, June 3, 2023
Incumbents of the position will provide their own transportation to program site(s).
Under the general supervision of the Recreation Coordinator, the Camp Director assists the Recreation Coordinator in the administration of summer camp staffing, programming, training and camper/family relations. The Camp Director is responsible for overseeing the camp coordinators and camp counselors, and the Director is the on-site camp liaison for families. This position is a 40 hour per week Monday through Friday seasonal position during summer. In addition to staff recruitment and selection and summer program planning hours prior to camp start dates, there is also an opportunity to continue employment on a part-time basis with the Parks and Recreation Department during the school year to assist in the planning and implementation of Orinda Youth Sports (OYS), adult sports, and the Orinda Teen Advisory Council (OTAC).
- Collaborate with Recreation Coordinator to develop, coordinate and facilitate summer camp programs and activities.
- Oversee camp staff, and promote a safe, supportive and engaging environment for all staff.
- Lead weekly debriefs involving city-run summer camps with Camp Coordinators.
- Direct Counselor-in-Training camp during last two weeks of summer.
- Utilize strong communication and decision-making skills to handle crisis management, discipline, or troubleshooting issues related to campers, families or staff.
- Maintain fiscal records and work within budget to order and maintain camp supplies and resources.
- Act as liaison between families, campers, staff, and Parks and Recreation Department.
- Ensure the health and safety of all campers and staff are prioritized in all summer camp programs.
All City of Orinda employees are expected to uphold and exhibit the City’s core values including serving the public, being respectful and accountable, maintaining professionalism, and demonstrating responsibility.
Education: Must have completed at least twelfth (12) grade by the start of camp and be seventeen (17) years of age or older by the start of camp. College-level coursework in Recreation, Sports, Administration, Human Development, Education or related field is preferred.
Experience: Recreation, athletics and/or education experience is desirable. Experience teaching and/or working with children and youth age twelve (12) and under is preferred.
Licenses/Certifications: CPR, First Aid, and AED training and/or certification are required prior to the first day of camp. There will be a CPR, First Aid and AED training on the mandatory Training Day.
Special Requirements:This is a mandated reporter position. Appointment to this position is contingent upon:
- A pre-employment live scan criminal history check, drug screen, physical and TB Test required. Please note that if under 18 some processes may require legal guardian consent.
How to Apply:
Please visit CalOpps.org to submit a fully completed application and resume. A limited number of applicants with the most desirable qualifications, as determined by initial screening of applications and resumes, will be invited to participate in an interview process. Applicants will be notified by phone or email if they are invited to participate further in the selection process. For more information, please contact Matt Delmartini at (925) 253-4215.
This recruitment is opened and will continue to receive applications until the position is filled.We strongly encourage interested candidates to apply as soon as possible. Applications are reviewed as they are received, and selections can be made at any time during the recruitment process.
The City of Orinda is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Candidates with a disability which may require special assistance in any phase of the application or testing process should submit a request for accommodation with the application. Documentation of the need for accommodation must accompany the request.
The successful candidate will enjoy the following benefits:
- This is a non-benefited temporary, seasonal or part-time (casual) position.
- Individuals in the position may not work more than 1,000 hours per year.
- Individuals in the position will receive sick leave in accordance with California State Law.
- Individuals in the position will be enrolled in a MissionSquare (ICMA-RC) 457 Deferred Compensation Program with the employee contributing 7.5%; this retirement contribution is in lieu of participating in Social Security.
All candidates must answer the required supplemental questions. Please note that a resume may be provided but it is not a replacement for a fully completed job application.